What was the correct fan set up for a 68 340 with AC?

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
7 blade, clutch fan with a spacer?

Im about ready to fire up my car again but I can see I have some clearance issues now that I have put the AC components back on.

The fan I have now is the Mopar Performance, clutch fan without a spacer. I could solve everything by going to a 3/4" to 1" spacer but I think I would prefer to go with the correct, factory parts.

Attached is photo of my 318 cuda project with factory air and clutch fan. Spacer is 1+ inches. Not sure if the 340 would be exactly the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 112
340 was thermostatic clutch with different water pump and pulleys. (NOTE: I should have said 1969 340 was ....).

I was just flipping thru my parts manual. I dont see a spacer listed for a 340. I see 1 fan listed for a 68 318 and 340 with ac. Its 7 blade with 2.25" pitch and part# is 2863215. You say you have a MP fan?? So not the orig fan?? Maybe that is the problem??

I show like Steve.
69 manual 340 w/a/c, I don't have 68, it says 18" 7 blade fan 2.25 wide with torque thermal (clutch fan) spacer N/A.
318 same fan dimensions but w/a/c shows 2"spacer, non clutch fan.

I was just flipping thru my parts manual. I dont see a spacer listed for a 340. I see 1 fan listed for a 68 318 and 340 with ac. Its 7 blade with 2.25" pitch and part# is 2863215. You say you have a MP fan?? So not the orig fan?? Maybe that is the problem??

Great. I think this answers all my questions. My guess is that the shaft on the Mopar Performance clutch is shorter, the pitch on the fan is different or both. I just need a little clearance to be more comfortable.

I will start looking for parts.

2863215 fan I think is all you need. Be careful though, if you do a google search there is a d**khead on ebay selling the stamp to fake the fan #'s.

standard 340 would be viscous clutch fan.
AC cars would have the thermal clutch fan but mount dimensions should be the same.
i think some big block cars had the short shaft..very expensive and hard to find now.

-
Back