what weight oil should i use

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
close to 10.5 to 1 compression hydraulic cam, stock stroke 360, I can get plenty of free oil from work that is 5-40, is the lower number to thin?

Nope that 5w will be fine, but it depends on where you live and what you use the motor/car for.Though I run 5w-30 full syn. You may need to add zinc if your cam is a flat tappet both not if you have a roller cam like me.

im in southern cali, im running a hydraulic flat tappet. thanks for the advice guys, the oil is penzoil ultra 5w-40 euro full synthetic, from what i've been reading it looks like it has zinc in it.

That word "euro" is the key to that oil from what I have read. Supposed to be good stuff and if I could get it for free it would be in my stroker and would get changed really often.

10W-40 Pennzoil with a can of STP for the Zinc. Been running this combo for many years on my last 3 Hi Performance Mopars and has treated me real well... No engine problems at all.

The euro oil probably is ACEA A3 rated. Which translates to "good stuff". The ACEA standards are based on a test to metal failure, while our API specs are just that, a specification or minimum recipe.

That said, I run Shell Rotella T6 (5w40 full synthetic) or Mobil 1 Turbodiesel Truck (5w40 full synthetic) in everything I own.

-
Back