What weight oil?

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Simple question - what weight oil is recommended for a BB mopar motor? Here's the build:

68 Charger - manual steering, torque thrust II 15" wheels
MT ET Street rear tires - 275/60/15
3.55 suregrip
stock a833 tranny w/ hurst comp shifter
sub frame connectors
XHD rear leafs
440 .060 over around 10.3:1 CR - zero deck hieght
eddy dual roller chain
SpeedPro hypereutectic pistons
Eddy RPM heads shaved to 75cc chambers, race valve job, and cleaned up ports
comp roller rockers
comp hi-tech custom push rods
Huhges springs (1106)
hughes hydro cam - 548/555 lift 237/242 duration 108* lobe separation
performer RPM intake
850 Speed Demon carb
Mallory 6AL and Unilite distributor
stock rods and crank
hi-flow oil pump
windage tray
headers
3" exhaust

99% street driven, but I am hitting the track for the day in a little less than a month.

If possible, I'd love to use some thing that is available locally, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg - although if it's going to offer a significant benefit, I'll spend the cash.

Thanks.

I run 15w40 Rotella T diesel oil in my 340, buddy runs it in his built 440 too.

is there anything worth running that you can get at the loacl Autozone, Napa, or Advance?

NAPA has a Valvoline Oil they can order for you called Valvoline Racing Oil and the bottle will have printed on it NOT FOR STREET. Otherwise you will be getting the new low zinc low additive package they have out to protect catalytic converters even the diesel oils are affected. It might say racing oil on it but it must also say NOT FOR STREET. I run Brad Penn myself. I don't know what autozone or advance have.

i run rotella 15w-40 too you can get it at napa, autozone, walmart, just about everywhere

I run 15w40 Rotella T diesel oil in my 340, buddy runs it in his built 440 too.

If you have a roller motor it will work well. It doesn't have enough zinc in it anymore for flat tappets. You might want to add some Comp Cams additive to it. I use the Rotella in my diesel.

What weight? If you have a nice tight clearances on your rods and mains 10w-30 if the motor is looser 20-50. I'm running 10w-30 in my street 340 and my race 414 (Brad Penn).

I run a straight 30 weight HD with plenty of zinc additive.

I run 15-50 Mobil 1 in my 440, hell I run it in everything, true story-I put the Mobil 1 in my track generator and it would run 45 mins longer on a tank of gas.

guys - if I get the Valvoline "racing only" stuff at Napa, is it necessary to add the zinc? If so, where can i get the zinc addative - i asked at Autozone once, and they looked at me like I had 2 heads.

guys - if I get the Valvoline "racing only" stuff at Napa, is it necessary to add the zinc? If so, where can i get the zinc addative - i asked at Autozone once, and they looked at me like I had 2 heads.

No you will not need to run an additive with the NOT FOR STREET Valvoline Racing Oil.

-
Back