What were the 11" rear brake widths for Mopar?

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
I see in one of my manuals that 11X2.5 were available. What other widths were available?

And does anyone know what the width of the drum face was for each of the shoe widths?

I have a combo that isn't working and I am trying to get it sorted.

Thanks,

CE

I used 68-69 B-Body wagon rear brakes on my car they are 11"x3". The backing plates came from Year One and everything else came from my local warehouse shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, hardware kit and self adjuster kits.

Okay, so did they use 3 different backing plates too?

I have two different drum widths here. One is 3ish inches wide (brand new drums) and I assume was used with 2.5 inch shoes. It does not work on my backing plates.

The other drum face is just about 2.5 inches wide and I can see a wear track in the face 2 inches wide. This one works perfectly with my backing plates.

If I can confirm that different backing plates were used, I will decide whether to buy new drums or the correct backing plates.

Thanks

CE

The backing plates are different for each of the three widths. So, if you have 11x2.5" backing plates, you can't use them with 11x2" or 11x3" shoes or drums or vice versa.

The backing plates have to be different because the axle flange offset is the same for all of the BBP axles. Since the face of the drum is in the same spot, the backing plate has to be unique to the width of the brake shoe.

Okay that makes perfect sense now that I think of it.

So now the question becomes should I buy backing plates for the 2.5 inch brand new shoes and drums I have?

Or should I buy new 2 inch drums and shoes for the backing plates that are already on the rear?

Off to the "wanted" section to see if anyone has the right backing plates....

-
Back