What were the differences in dash speakers?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Some of you are aware that I make and sell a bracket for mounting twin 3-1/2" speakers under the dash to replace the old style single-cone. This isn't a sales pitch here (see "CAR PARTS FOR SALE" for that). What I am finding to be the case is that there apparently were different sizes of speakers used over the years in our A-body cars. I wish Chrysler would have kept it simple and used the same size over the years, but that would have been too easy.

I want to build templates for the full range of applications for all models of Chrysler cars and trucks, where the old single paper cone speakers were utilized. I need help from all you guys willing to provide me with tight measurements taken from your respective vehicles' speaker mounting screws.

Depending upon how tight you want to keep the tolerance, for the 4"x10" speaker in my son's '74 Dart Sport, it measured 11-7/16" between (center-to-center) the two mounting screws under the dash. For simplicity, let's call it 11-1/2". If you can get within 1/16", it will be good enough. It will be interesting to see how big a variety of measurements I will receive. For some of you with a car dismantled for repair, it should not be much trouble. For others who are willing to crawl up under the steering wheel, A/C-heater, and dash, it will be a bit more challenging, and I appreciate it.

I've already gotten a few measurements, and it seems that the earlier models used smaller speakers, but even then, I'm getting a variety of lengths. It would certainly simplify everything if someone could definitively prove that all cars between "this year and that" used "this size" and all others used "this size."

Long story short... I will appreciate any insight you can provide for whatever vehicle you can, whether it's an A-body or not. I hope to do the same for all the other Chrysler car and truck series, as well.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

how hard is it to take off the dash panel to measure/install the speakers? or do you have to install them from below?

It really depends upon a few variables. In our case, my son's car was completely dismantled for a total rebuild. That made it much easier for us, because nothing was in the way, such as the A/C-heater box and controls.
We simply reached up from the bottom, before all the "stuff" went in.

My guess is if you remove the glove box insert, it will give you better access.
If you can remove the defrost hoses, it should really be opened up quite a bit
under the dash. No A/C would be even better. Honestly, it's basically what you would have to do to gain access to replace the nylon pivots when your wiper linkage arms are slapping around under the dash.

Sound fun or what?
Jerry

The dash frame out of the 72 scamp was 11 7/16 right on the nose. That was center of the screw to center of the other screw. Hope this helps.
The 72 now has a dash out of a 73 or 74 dart, I havent installed the stereo yet so next time I am out there I will try to get that one for ya too.

-
Back