What wheels to run with dr diff kit?

-

7duce swinger

Reaction score
I am running the dr. Diff brake kit on my 72 dart and I'm having a hard time finding wheels I like that fit with the hub. Didnt think about this at all when I purchased the brake kit and I'm stuck dealing with this now.

Just like my Saleen foxbody wheel choices are slim because of the stupid hub design. Reason I went with pbr/cobras on my saleen.

I'm mainly looking for a 17x4.5" front wheel that works with the hub. The rotors hub measures in at 2.78" . I know a racestar 92 drag star will work, but at 500$+ just for front wheels and not counting tires, I'd rather wait for those later. I was looking at sve drag stars and they have the size but I cant for the life of me find the bore size.

What wheels are you all running if using this brake kit?

Screenshot_20190818-191752_Chrome.jpg

Which DoctorDiff brake kit are you actually running? The Stage I and II kits are just stock 73+ Mopar disks, they have the same diameter hub register as these cars had from the factory. The Stage III and up kits actually have a smaller hub register than factory. And the current Wilwood kits for these cars have hub registers that make even the factory Mopar hub registers look small.

Most Mustang rims have a 70 to 70.5 mm hub bore. The 2.78” hub works out to about 71mm, and that’s why you see most folks that are running mustang rims have modified the rims hub bore to clear. Most don’t take much, some people do it with a dremel.

Lots of aftermarket rims use a 73.1 mm hub bore, but you have to be careful still because a lot of them taper to a smaller opening for the wheel cap. So not all of them will work without modifications. The Enkei RPF1’s I have are like that, they start at 73.1mm but taper down faster than the hub on my Stage III brakes. So I had them machined to fit.

17x4.5” is kind of a specialty size. There’s a decent chance you’ll need to have the rims’ hub bores modified to fit. Even if you find a wheel with a hub bore that starts at 73.1 the rim will have a thin mounting area, so if it tapers to a small wheel cap opening they still may not clear.

Your other option would be to turn down the hub register on the hub. If you've got a Stage I or II kit turning down the steel a bit isn't a big deal, the PirateJack kits do this on their SBP kits that use the 73+ rotors. If you have a Stage III or higher kit you can still do that, but I wouldn't turn much off of the aluminum hubs those kits use.

Last edited:
Which DoctorDiff brake kit are you actually running? The Stage I and II kits are just stock 73+ Mopar disks, they have the same diameter hub register as these cars had from the factory. The Stage III and up kits actually have a smaller hub register than factory. And the current Wilwood kits for these cars have hub registers that make even the factory Mopar hub registers look small.

Most Mustang rims have a 70 to 70.5 mm hub bore. The 2.78” hub works out to about 71mm, and that’s why you see most folks that are running mustang rims have modified the rims hub bore to clear. Most don’t take much, some people do it with a dremel.

Lots of aftermarket rims use a 73.1 mm hub bore, but you have to be careful still because a lot of them taper to a smaller opening for the wheel cap. So not all of them will work without modifications. The Enkei RPF1’s I have are like that, they start at 73.1mm but taper down faster than the hub on my Stage III brakes. So I had them machined to fit.

17x4.5” is kind of a specialty size. There’s a decent chance you’ll need to have the rims’ hub bores modified to fit. Even if you find a wheel with a hub bore that starts at 73.1 the rim will have a thin mounting area, so if it tapers to a small wheel cap opening they still may not clear.

Your other option would be to turn down the hub register on the hub. If you've got a Stage I or II kit turning down the steel a bit isn't a big deal, the PirateJack kits do this on their SBP kits that use the 73+ rotors. If you have a Stage III or higher kit you can still do that, but I wouldn't turn much off of the aluminum hubs those kits use.

From my understanding the "stage 3" is nothing more than cobra brake setups. I have the 11.75" setup which I think is stage 2. The hub is similar to that of saleen/svo/lincolns. Racestars have a 3"+ hub bore diameter but cost twice as much as the sve wheels in 17x4.5 without tires. Been around mustangs all my life, people just swap on pbr brakes or sn95 94 gt-98gt, or the 99-04 gt pbr dual pistons or 94-04 cobra brakes. Never really seen anyone machine the bore on mustang wheels. My saleen foxbody had this same problem so I swapped to new edge 02' control arms, spindles and brakes.

My Darts stock brakes were 5x100, and when I purchased the kit 2 years ago. I was deployed so I didnt know what I actually bought, I thought I had purchased the other style hub setup.

Was really hoping maybe someone knew the sve wheel specs?

Other than that jegs brand, drag star wheels can be had in 17x4.5" but use regular acorn lugnuts unlike the racestars requiring shanks. And the jegs wheels have a 3" plus bore diameter. But I cant find rears with more than 5" of backspace. Kind of my dilemma right now lol.

I do have some starfish wheels and bullets which are 99gt stock wheels and well the torque thrust looking wheels, and both do as you say. Start put with a lip on the hub that's smaller than the rest of the hub. I just dont like other wheel on the car lol

I have the Stage 3, you still have two conical bearings in the hub hat just like stock. The caliper is identical to the PBR used in the 94-04 Cobras and others. The rotor is not 13" Cobra as i understand. Its a great kit for the price. I had a Baer 12" setup on my 92' GT and the caliper its identical.

Why a 17" rim when you can fit a 15" if you going to run a skinny tire?

I ended up ordering custom offset rims front and rear to get what I wanted.

From my understanding the "stage 3" is nothing more than cobra brake setups. I have the 11.75" setup which I think is stage 2. The hub is similar to that of saleen/svo/lincolns. Racestars have a 3"+ hub bore diameter but cost twice as much as the sve wheels in 17x4.5 without tires. Been around mustangs all my life, people just swap on pbr brakes or sn95 94 gt-98gt, or the 99-04 gt pbr dual pistons or 94-04 cobra brakes. Never really seen anyone machine the bore on mustang wheels. My saleen foxbody had this same problem so I swapped to new edge 02' control arms, spindles and brakes.

My Darts stock brakes were 5x100, and when I purchased the kit 2 years ago. I was deployed so I didnt know what I actually bought, I thought I had purchased the other style hub setup.

Was really hoping maybe someone knew the sve wheel specs?

Other than that jegs brand, drag star wheels can be had in 17x4.5" but use regular acorn lugnuts unlike the racestars requiring shanks. And the jegs wheels have a 3" plus bore diameter. But I cant find rears with more than 5" of backspace. Kind of my dilemma right now lol.

Ok, so the 11.75" rotors are literally just stock Mopar rotors. They came on the later B/R body cars, and have the same hub diameter as the other 73+ stock mopar rotors.

I don't know what the Mustang guys do, but really those hubs are smaller anyway. It's pretty common when using Mustang wheels on a Mopar to have to open up the hub bore on the wheels. And not unusual with aftermarket wheels either. Just search "hub bore" on here, you'll get plenty of examples. The issue you're having with hub bore is the same as everyone else has with these cars, you're running factory rotors.

Also, your stock brakes were NOT 5x100mm. They were 5x4", there is a difference.

As for the machining of the wheels, you can see what I did here on mine. The first picture shows how the hub bore tapered down for the original wheel cap. The bore is 73.1 mm on the inside, but was only like 65mm on the outside. I had a machine shop take the bore to 73.1mm all the way through, and then made my own wheel caps to fit.

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

I have the Stage 3, you still have two conical bearings in the hub hat just like stock. The caliper is identical to the PBR used in the 94-04 Cobras and others. The rotor is not 13" Cobra as i understand. Its a great kit for the price. I had a Baer 12" setup on my 92' GT and the caliper its identical.

Yup, I have the Stage III DoctorDiff kit as well. Aluminum hubs with a 2.7" hub register diameter. They use the same bearings as the 73+ disks. The calipers are PBR, but the rotors are from a C4 Corvette with the 5x4.5" pattern added. It's a great kit for the price.

Ok, so the 11.75" rotors are literally just stock Mopar rotors. They came on the later B/R body cars, and have the same hub diameter as the other 73+ stock mopar rotors.

I don't know what the Mustang guys do, but really those hubs are smaller anyway. It's pretty common when using Mustang wheels on a Mopar to have to open up the hub bore on the wheels. And not unusual with aftermarket wheels either. Just search "hub bore" on here, you'll get plenty of examples. The issue you're having with hub bore is the same as everyone else has with these cars, you're running factory rotors.

Also, your stock brakes were NOT 5x100mm. They were 5x4", there is a difference.

As for the machining of the wheels, you can see what I did here on mine. The first picture shows how the hub bore tapered down for the original wheel cap. The bore is 73.1 mm on the inside, but was only like 65mm on the outside. I had a machine shop take the bore to 73.1mm all the way through, and then made my own wheel caps to fit.

View attachment 1715381995

View attachment 1715381996

View attachment 1715381994

View attachment 1715381993

Yup, I have the Stage III DoctorDiff kit as well. Aluminum hubs with a 2.7" hub register diameter. They use the same bearings as the 73+ disks. The calipers are PBR, but the rotors are from a C4 Corvette with the 5x4.5" pattern added. It's a great kit for the price.

Sorry that's what I mean 5x4", i was working on a car with 5x100 at the time lol.

But no, not all mustang hubs are smaller.
Saleen, svo mustang setups are the same size as these, same hub size, same thing. my foxbody saleen wheels will fit but they are too small for my liking.

I just recently purchased vision drag star wheels with a 3" + bore size.

I like the look of a 17 over a 15 up front. I'll upgrade eventually as I dont qant to be turning down hubs everytime I change them out.

I like the look of a 17 over a 15 up front. I'll upgrade eventually as I don't qant to be turning down hubs everytime I change them out.

My goal was no mods and no spacers. I would do hubcentric rings. I went 17" as well due to the far superior tire choices and I wanted at some point to go to 13"rotor/PBR combo. I plan to drive in modern traffic at moderns speeds and sudden stops. After driving both my 92' GT with the weenie 11" rotor/9" drum combo and the 66 Coronet with 4 wheel 10" drums in modern traffic I learned my lesson real quick of the importance of good brakes and tires.

-
Back