What would be better?

-

kevabe

Reaction score
What would be better?

Three 2 bbl carberators on a 318

or

a 4 bbl carberator on a 318?

Do they make a dual 4 bbl carb intake manifold?

It really depends on how the engine is built. If the six pack is set up with small carbs and a good progressive linkage it could work really well but cam, headers, gears and trans all play a part as well.

depends on what you want. if its a stock or very mildy built 318 go with a 4 bbl. if its a lil bit hopped up go with a bigger 4 bbl or a 6 pack. there expensive but their there. if its not mild and its wild with a high output get 2 4bbls and have some fun. its really up to what your motor is built for. dont wanna over carb it. what kinda performance parts you got. whats done to the motor?? and yes they make a dual quad setup. for 340s and 318s. basically anything

I really have not done anything yet. I bought the 1969 Barracuda a week a go and am working on getting it ready for the street and plan to trade the 318 for a 408 but would like to have a little fun in the mean time. Right now the 318 has a half working 2 bbl.

I really have not done anything yet. I bought the 1969 Barracuda a week a go and am working on getting it ready for the street and plan to trade the 318 for a 408 but would like to have a little fun in the mean time. Right now the 318 has a half working 2 bbl.
you know someone who will take a 318 for a 408?? get a 4bbl and 4bbl intake and some headers. itll be fun. you might cam it but its all under your budget. you have to pull the motor to do headers on a a body. but its worth it

If you want performance and easier tunability, get a 4 barrel carb. 6 packs and dual 4 barrels look good, but they are harder to tune for optimum drivability and performance, street or race.

You can install TTI headers in an A-body with little more than raising the engine off of the motor mounts. Great performance, durability and fit. But they are also expensive.

Thanks I think I will pick some up. Also I need to replace the intake manifold and the 2 bbl for a 4 bbl. Do you have any suggestions as to which intake manifold and 4 bbl carb I should get for my 318?

My 2 cents:
Stay with a conservative dual plane intake because of the small, mild 318: LD4B, Performer, etc. Some of the more popular intakes have bigger ports than the 318 heads so the air flow will run into a lip/ridge in the port.

Not really sure about a carb. I always worked on Holleys, but mainly race tune-ups. Others have had good luck with Carter and Edelbrock on the street too. You have to make sure the kickdown linkage is adjusted correctly when going to a 4 barrel and that the carb has the correct brackets/hook-ups. Stay with a vacuum secondary carb, smaller than a 750. Don't get too carried away because you'll need to save your money for the stroker you plan to get!

TTI headers will work well with both applications. I have the 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step headers on my race car, so they should be good with more cubes on the street also. There have been many long debates on several forums about the cost of TTI headers vs. their benefits. But they are, debatably, the best fitting, best ground clearance and easiest to install headers available. You don't need a 90* oil filter adapter and they clear Milodon oil pans. You'll have to decide for yourself.

www.ttiexhaust.com

I'm running 302 heads with a Performer and a 625 cfm AFB. If you go this route, you'll need a fiber intake gasket. I could not get a steel gasket to seal well. With no internal engine changes, IMO a Performer manifold and a 500 cfm AVS carb will make the car a little more fun until the cavalry arrives.

-
Back