What would you do?276 Desoto HEMI?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I bought one disassembled. No valve covers, missing two plug tubes, distributor. Two broke rods and the crank was scored a little. I think the crank can be built up and turned back down. What would you guys do with it? How much horse power can be achieved with this little motor? I can part it out and get way more than i have in it. I think i would like to build it though and a hilborn FI unit or the likes on top would be nice. Accepting opinions!!

It costs the same thing to build a 392,as it does to build you little motor.And you would have a LOT more power too,for the money.Part it out,and buy you a 392 if you really want an old hemi

Personally I'd only build it up if you had NOTHING else better to spend the money on. Such a small, yet heavy engine isn't going to do very well in pretty much anything.

I would go for it. Every one has a s/b wedge, or big block. s/b hemi would be different and that is cool in my book. I like Mopar's becouse thay are different and that is just what you have.

Part it out and make money on it and use it to build something else that will actually make some power. The 276 had small valves and only 2 barrel carb. IIRC. Not much power to be had there. And like Mopekid said it weighs a ton. Heck you can make a 318 out run a 276 with ease.

Another thing to consider is parts will cost you a fortune if you do decide to build it.

Street rodders love them and will give a pretty good price for them. They don't care about power. Just as long as it's a Hemi.

I would go for it. Every one has a s/b wedge, or big block. s/b hemi would be different and that is cool in my book. I like Mopar's becouse thay are different and that is just what you have.

i agree, but maybe its because i have a 241 hemi. but no i think if you want something interesting and different, take the time and money to rebuild the 276 and do what you want. and as for only being able to put a 2bbl on it, i dont believe that is true, i have found numerous intakes that take 4 2bbl carbs, they're pricey, but they are out there.

Would make a nice street rod motor for sure. I have it listed over on the for sale board for $400 for the whole ball of wax. I have a dual quad roller 440 in the works right now.

A friend just built one for a street rodder. Unless you're a talented machinist, I'd pass. Many of the parts, supposedly sold specifically for that engine needed to be modified to work. It's a cool looking engine, no doubt, but lots of work and money for a small engine.

You can get a triple deuce intake for them. Sweet looking.

I bought one disassembled. No valve covers, missing two plug tubes, distributor. Two broke rods and the crank was scored a little. I think the crank can be built up and turned back down. What would you guys do with it? How much horse power can be achieved with this little motor? I can part it out and get way more than i have in it. I think i would like to build it though and a hilborn FI unit or the likes on top would be nice. Accepting opinions!!
they had 270 so id be guessin a pretty good bit. hemis always have pottential. keep it and go for a retro hot rod

-
Back