What would you do?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
I had a local guy put a thermoquad together and get it set up after having so many issues with my Demon.

It starts and idles cold amazingly now and just idles better all around.

As for power the bottom end is better mid range and upper are similar to maybe a little less by the butt dyno.

He's not done setting it up but here are the issues. With the edelbrock rpm intake and adapter for the spreadbore I can't run my stock 71 aircleaner I need a drop base but now the drop base hits the kickdown leaver. The angles all just suck.

He said I could pull the intake and machine it for a spreadbore to do away with the adapter. Then I am pretty commited to the TQ.

Anyone gone down this road?

Well, you aren't exactly committed to the TQ. You can always get another airgap intake if you don't like the TQ. Hahahaha.......yeah.....all it takes is money, huh?

Can you drive it for a while without the hood to see whether or not you're going to like the TQ enough to stick with it? At this point it already sounds like you're a bunch happier with the TQ. Since I've not been down this road, and I'm still fighting a demon, I can't wait to see what others say! LOL

- Don

I think if the guy knows what he's doing then there will be no reason for you to want to put any different carb on there in the future. If you do, I don't see why you wouldn't just be able to bolt a square-bore carb over the spread-bore plenum; the Performer intakes are machined for spread-bore but also accept square-bore carbs.

the stock 71 340 intake is a good performer if you have one, it will lose out over a rpm above maybe 52 or 5400 rpm. the FAST guys use them down into the 11's. BTW i'm swaping out my torker II and 750 dp to try a t-quad & stock intake, maybe i'm nuts but if the car can still run mid 12's and look stock it should be a fun time at the strip!!

I'm not too worried about looking stock, I guess for the price of the intake once he says the carb is set up and perfect and I like it I'll pull the intake and let him machine it so I can ditch the spacer.

Throw The Thermo Squid In The Trash And Put The New Edelbrock 600 On It.
Not Sure Of The Model ###
I Have Noticed Tons More Performance Since The Swap.

Throw The Thermo Squid In The Trash And Put The New Edelbrock 600 On It.
Not Sure Of The Model ###
I Have Noticed Tons More Performance Since The Swap.

The ThermoQuad is above and beyond the AFB- and AVS-based Edelbrock carbs. Set up properly, a TQ will out-perform an Edelbrock square-bore carb and will get better gas mileage.

That's the main reason I wanted to try it out just didn't figure on all the clearance issues.

Is the idle circuit of a TQ that much better or was somthing that horribly wrong that the Demon hasn't idles for crap in the 4 years I've had it?

Are there any good spread bore intakes made? Just a quick look turned up the Weiand 8007

Only the regular Edelbrock Performer, the Weiand 8007, and the MP M-1 single-plane are spread-bore intakes. You could try to machine the RPM intake you have but just from looking at it there might not be enough material on the sides to make the secondary holes big enough.

He figures he can do it, I wanted to powder coat the intake anyways so not a big issue to pull it.

He's changing some metering rods and doing more tuneing tomorrow and he'll get the kick-down hooked up and if I like it I buy it.

If not I can take a pass and he'll pull the stuff

-
Back