What year 727 tf can I use on la360

-

Matt F

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think I am going to go with a 727 as my 904 is not holding up to the 360. I am having a hard time finding a 727 or my area. I live be Eau Claire WI. What year 727 should I be looking for. My other option is I do have a 4 spd transmission and my car was originally a slant 6 with a 3spd. How hard is it to find all the parts to make my 73 duster manual again. Pedal is still in the car but that is it.
Thank you. If anyone has the parts I need to set up my car as a manual please let me know price.

Hey guys, I think I am going to go with a 727 as my 904 is not holding up to the 360. I am having a hard time finding a 727 or my area. I live be Eau Claire WI. What year 727 should I be looking for. My other option is I do have a 4 spd transmission and my car was originally a slant 6 with a 3spd. How hard is it to find all the parts to make my 73 duster manual again. Pedal is still in the car but that is it.
Thank you. If anyone has the parts I need to set up my car as a manual please let me know price.
any year, SMALL block 67 and up 727 will work. just get a neutral balance flexplate. If you're gonna go 4 speed route, 833s aren't too bad to find price wise will vary. You can get bellhousings easily as well.

What is the purpose of your car? if its a daily or a cruiser, you might think about going A518, which is essentially the 727 with a 4th gear OD. Just wire the OD to a switch when you want to go OD

1967 68 neutral safety/reverse light switch and valve body contact was 1 prong, later ? 1970 + was 3 prong. 360 is externally balanced - will need a weight on converter or flexplate

any year, SMALL block 67 and up 727 will work. just get a neutral balance flexplate. If you're gonna go 4 speed route, 833s aren't too bad to find price wise will vary. You can get bellhousings easily as well.

What is the purpose of your car? if its a daily or a cruiser, you might think about going A518, which is essentially the 727 with a 4th gear OD. Just wire the OD to a switch when you want to go OD
What year a518 would work. What else would I need to change? Crossmember? Driveshaft? Just a weekend driver.

Post #4. Any year 72 and forward has a lot of improvements including the part throttle kickdown valve which is nice to have.

You need nothing special. A kit from northern auto, good bands and valve body. Nothing crazy.

Too lazy to look for the list of parts a bunch of us have used. Maybe @70aarcuda might chime in with a list or link.

Everybody wants a kit, but no kit addresses the weak link in the tf; the direct clutch; which needs red eagle thins.

The weak Link in the 904 is in that front clutch where the spring is wound backwards. The Cure is to get the properly wound spring from either turbo action or ATI whoever sells it. It's like 25-30 bucks.
And you should replace the rear Servo piston with a Billet low reverse Servo piston and heavy duty retainer.

Personally I like the red Alto parts. Give me a minute and I'll find a kit on eBay that has about everything you need.

-
Back