What year and model Chrysler is this?

-
IMG_5894.gif

The first year or two of the Omni/ Horizon did come with 1.7 VW engines, until they had the 2.2 available. My Dad owned one.

Riddle me this.

Early 1980s a friend's mom went to the local mom & pop dealership to buy a new car to replace a worn out one.
She was a nurse, needed a daily commuter and bought cars off the lot, never ordered one, drove them until worn out.

She came home with an Omni GLH, but it was very odd.

Stock Omni, white, red interior, manual trans, no ground effects, chrome bumpers, stock steel wheels with trim rings and center caps.

It had black decal stripes of different sizes on the sides.
On the C pillar, mounted at the same angle, an orange light bar with chrome ends that came on with the lights.
It had the turbo hood.

It was a turbo and it was ridiculously fast.
My friend's older brother would take us out in it and let us drive it, we were not of age at all.
He subsequently totalled it within a few weeks and we never saw it again.

This was a brand new car, at most a demo.

Unsettled debate, there was a turbo emblem or decal either next to the orange light or on the fender.
The debate is where was the emblem, not if it existed.

Still friends, still have no idea what this car was exactly.

I think the wiki is wrong. GLH is the Omni, GLHS is the Charger. This being on top of regular production Shelby Chargers.
Nope, Omni could be had in GLH-T and GLH-S. For 1987 the only way to get a GLH-S was in the Charger.

I was brought up on V8's with rear wheel drive.
My first real car was a 70 Challenger R/T, 383, 4spd, 3.91's with no PS, PB, or anything (in 78, 79 or so). With L60's, a hi rise Edelbrock and an AFB, it ran 14.40's at about 96.
I was ready to buy my first (and only, as it turns out) new car about '86. GM's Firebird's and Camaro's were either 305's w/ 5 spd, or 350 w/ auto. Both slow.
Chrysler had these GLH "cars". (With respect, FWD 4cyl. didn't cut it.)
I waited a year.
The 87 Mustang, like 'em or not, was the ticket. I bought an LX, 5 spd, w/ the no cost option 3.08 gears. (2.73 standard) In Spring air, at Atco's sea level altitude, it went 13.95 @ 97 mph, after several 14.00's and a couple 14. teens. It was stock down to the 10* timing, and the air silencer was still on it. I still have it. It runs 11.40's now. (in good air) Not quite stock. :)
That early on in the Fox body thing, nobody on the street knew what they were capable of. I had a ball beating the other new cars of the time. I had a sticker on the back that read, "The Heartbeat Stops Here". I had to take it off. Too many challenges. Too much risk.
Don't get me wrong, I've had several old Mopars that were awesome. My current one, a Duster clone, runs 11.80's and isn't quite sorted out.

My friend has a 91 Dodge Shadow convertible turbo.
I walked away from one of those a couple of years ago. It needed some head work, and I could have done it easily at the time.
I made what I thought was a fair offer. The owner wouldn't come off of it. Said he could get more as scrap. I laughed and said good luck.
Two days later he was calling me, wanting to take my offer. I declined due to his attitude before.
I wish I hadn't been so damn stubborn and bought the damn thing. It would have been a neat car now.

As already stated, the Omni/Horizon was built to compete with the VW Rabbit, it was actually a European Simca prior to becoming the Omnirizons here. Yes it had a larger(1.7 vs 1.6) VW 4cyl. when introduced, and the 1.6 Peugot 4cyl., which got sold in a lot of fleet-car deals.
The GLH 4Dr was road tested buy one of the big rags(forget which one), and it turned the fastest time through the slalom cones of any production car ever tested by them to that date, no Lambo, no Ferrari, no Vette, no Porsche, ever went that quick through that test.
Hot Rod mag I believe, pitted the Classic GT350 'Stang vs a GLH-S on a road course, & the Omni stomped it. They are not "drag racing" machines, but they are judged by that here all the time, lol.... go to some road courses even with a decent straight, and there are Miatas lapping contemporary 'Vettes..

Bosch front fog lights in air dam ...definitely a S version....goes like hell some more!!!!

We bought a brand new 1981 Dodge 024 with the 2.2. My wife drove it for many years. It was poop brown with a gold stripe. Hey it was her choice! It was a good little car, but the automatic didn't like hills.

My current GLH-T. Super70 with everything forged, upgraded,!ported etc.. around 300hp as is. This is my 5th GLH. Loads of fun!

45CBE1F8-6B0E-4A29-A6C4-E5C0379EF4BC.jpeg

85033445-D8A8-4C05-A0A2-76C92E7077E0.jpeg

D9348688-82A2-4011-878E-B0300D49EF76.jpeg

3CD3BF80-2F0E-446B-9278-3108A2E6051C.jpeg

413F279E-9681-4AA9-9CA6-A6278481C3EC.jpeg

To note also, the Glh had 5 bolt wheels and stronger axle stuff.
GLH-S yes, GLH no. I have 3 sets of 4-lug GLH "Pizza" wheels, & 2 sets of 5-lug.
The early GLH basically got the larger K-E-G platform larger vented 4-lug brakes up front, and larger drums in the rear. They also had a thicker hub mounting plate weldment on the rear axle, this took more abuse & moved the rear wheel & tires out away from the struts a bit. My SantaFe Blue '90 is retro-fitted with the GLH 4-lug rims, springs & the vented discs up frt., the 205/50-15's just rub the rear coils enough to shine the paint off. I'll probably do My own rear axle plate to it in the future, but it's back-burner at the moment.

My ex wife had a Plymouth Turismo which is like the Charger 2.2
Yeah, I picked up a red '85 off of our band leader/guitarist's kid for a beater, ran like the wind 'til I wrecked it on black ice...

20230118_194814.jpg

GLH-S yes, GLH no. I have 3 sets of 4-lug GLH "Pizza" wheels, & 2 sets of 5-lug.
The early GLH basically got the larger K-E-G platform larger vented 4-lug brakes up front, and larger drums in the rear. They also had a thicker hub mounting plate weldment on the rear axle, this took more abuse & moved the rear wheel & tires out away from the struts a bit. My SantaFe Blue '90 is retro-fitted with the GLH 4-lug rims, springs & the vented discs up frt., the 205/50-15's just rub the rear coils enough to shine the paint off. I'll probably do My own rear axle plate to it in the future, but it's back-burner at the moment.
Curios, all '84s had the 4-lug. G-bodies, Shelby Chargers, and I thought the GLH-T got the 5-lug starting in '85. I know I parted an '86 GLH and scarfed the 5-lug stuff for my '84 Charger.

Curios, all '84s had the 4-lug. G-bodies, Shelby Chargers, and I thought the GLH-T got the 5-lug starting in '85. I know I parted an '86 GLH and scarfed the 5-lug stuff for my '84 Charger.
Yes, the Turbos & GLH-S's got 5-lugs starting in '85, non-Turbo Shelbys & GLH stayed with 4-lug through '86....the last year 4-lugs were offered on the K-E-G bodies.

Not entirely correct. So ‘83.5-‘84 Shelby Chargers and ‘84 GLH were 4x100 with vented front discs and 200mm rear drums. ‘84 Daytona TurboZ had 4x100 vented front discs and 220mm rear drums. Starting in ‘85, with all GLH(turbo and non turbo), Shelby Chargers and Turbo Zs, we’re 5x100 vented discs and 220mm drums in the back. The GLH/GLH-T and SCs, including the numbered GLHS models used the same 5x100 front vented discs and rear 220mm drums.

An upgrade for ‘83-‘84 GLH and SCs is to install the 220mm drums off of an ‘84 TurboZ and front calipers and brackets off of the mid ‘80s caravans. The Caravan used a larger piston caliper with significantly larger pads. The front caliper/pad upgrade also works on the ‘85-‘87 Lbody turbo models.

And another thing that is now highly contested: The ‘86 Omni GLHS, did not stand for GLH- S’more. The “S” stood for Shelby. All the early paperwork and documentation listed it as a GLH-Shelby. The “s’more” thing was actually from a small article a journalist wrote about the ‘86 GLHS suggesting cleverly and jokingly that the “S” stood for “s’more”. Well that took off and Shelby’s team liked it so much that in the paperwork for the ‘87 Charger GLHS they actually used the “s’more” verbiage which cemented the name and lore of the “Goes Like Hell S’more”.

-
Back