Whats a good clutch, have preasure plate, 400HP 360.

-

392Mopar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm picking up a worked over 360 this weekend( he estimates 400hp), it has a fresh flywheel, and I have a great looking Borg and Beck style preasure plate( surface looks great) I pulled off a 73/74 360 I got and sold that only had 500 miles on it. Question is, what would be a good clutch disk to put in using these parts. I would love to buy a whole new setup like a centerforce but dont know if its in my budget right now, so just looking to use the parts I have and throw in a new disk.

Its a 74 360 with 10:1 KB forged pistons, a racer brown 238 duration and .050 and .485 lift cam with ported and polished heads( 2.02/1.60), a Holley strip dominator ( may swap to RPM Air Gap) and a 750 DP Holley, going into a 72 Duster with close ratio iron 4 speed hooked to 8 3/4 rear with 3.91 sure grip and 325/50-15 DOT street slicks. Am I asking for too much from a Borg and Beck style presureplate with this setup? I was told this motor with a bigger cam went 12.20's in a 68 Corronet with 4.56 gears, but its been tamed down with a smaller cam to make it more streetable.

What do you think?

Butch

i would just wait till you can afford every thing new youll end up with clutch chatter or somthing
and youll just be pulling it apart again and im runnin a 475hp 360 with no problems

What kind of clutch kit did you put in? And are you happy with it?

Butch

don,t put a centre force in it justdid mine nothing but bullshit with it ,tranny makes some kind of weired noise when trying to go into rev gear never made that noise before i changed it , there help line also sucks too ,so don,t use this clutch

We use LUK clutches at the shop and they work good.

Or you could buy made in USA parts from a solid company that has been making clutches in the USA for 48 years:

http://www.clutchnet.com/

Instead of buying from Volkswagon's OEM supplier (luk) and sending your cash offshore.

I see that link is in "404 Errorland". What Luk setup would you recommend for a 408 w/ 500ish tq? I bought a Luk 05029 a year ago from RockAuto for a 360 I was going to freshen up but then this 408 fell into my lap & I couldn't say no.

I just missed a Centerforce DF269675 on Amazon.com for $150 (now back up to regular price) ... hate it when payday is so far away!!

Thanks in advance!!

I see that link is in "404 Errorland". What Luk setup would you recommend for a 408 w/ 500ish tq? I bought a Luk 05029 a year ago from RockAuto for a 360 I was going to freshen up but then this 408 fell into my lap & I couldn't say no.

I just missed a Centerforce DF269675 on Amazon.com for $150 (now back up to regular price) ... hate it when payday is so far away!!

Thanks in advance!!

This what I run Mcleod
It's not rough on the leg and grabs really well. Brewers should have anything your looking for. Give them a call.

Thanks in advance!!

Not sure I would run a LUK in a stroker. They are a high quality OEM replacement that can take a good bit of abuse, but I believe a 410 stroker is too much, I believe.

I think the McLeod 75209 is where I'm headed for. I've read a lot of good reviews on both McLeod & Centerforce but McLeod seems to be a bit easier on the pocket book for the similar quality ... at least up in Canada.

Thnx fellas for your quick responses ... I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site!!

I love Brewers they're great and always a banner for them but a clutch is a pretty common item I wouldn't go to a middleman for that unless it was like Summit or Jegs who buys them in bulk. And can get even a better deal than buying them direct from the factory. I think people underestimate what just a normal Heavy Duty clutch at AutoZone will get you. Oh yeah and everybody does realize this thread is like 8 years old or something right?

I think it's OK to rehash a old thread. I see old threads that I would like to comment on but realize that they are old so I don't. What's the harm in it anyway? :D Heck we're talking about cars, parts, etc... our hobby isn't it?
I don't know if Autozone sells diaphragm type pressure plates but that's what I wanted in my cuda. They might sell them but I've never asked. Seems like Orielys sells a lot of performance goodies now days.

I have no hang ups about old threads, just pointing out that the op probably has a clutch?

I think it's OK to rehash a old thread. I see old threads that I would like to comment on but realize that they are old so I don't. What's the harm in it anyway? :D Heck we're talking about cars, parts, etc... our hobby isn't it?
I don't know if Autozone sells diaphragm type pressure plates but that's what I wanted in my cuda. They might sell them but I've never asked. Seems like Orielys sells a lot of performance goodies now da

-
Back