whats a good water pump for BB

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to change the timing cover on the 440 and I was thinking about going ahead and changing the water pump while I was in there. I noticed once in a great while the temp raises on a hot day. Maybe it is weak. It still has the factory pump on it. what is a good brand of pump that some of you have come across. Local parts house has Murray. Don't know anything about them. Thanks

don't everybody jump in there at once now. I was thinking about the Milodon high volume # 16260 along with the thermostat # 16405. would this be a good option. it says it increases flow about 30%. Is anybody running this pump. has it made a difference.

I am using a flowkooler 1679 from summit with the milodon high flow stat (185) and factory radiator with good results.

Well now that my timing curve is fixed anyhow!

I read up on these and it says it drops the temp about 30 degrees. I don't know if a high volume will do allright with a mild 440. don't know much about this. any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

If you decide to use a high volume water pump, you need to also get a high flow thermostat, too or else the pump will be badly restricted and pretty much be worthless.

Pulley sizes will get ya good volume and pressure. Overdrive it with big crank pulley. Good to know someone who collects lotsa parts,don't get rid of nothing. Friend like this usually has a selection of such things.

Thinking a bit on this,never seen a pump go weak myself. They either leak, get rusted out from sitting or break. Never broke one, had a couple sit too long(hard to spin) but leak? Yessir! Now radiators will get 'weak' on you. Have it rodded out. I took the top tank off one once just to see if I could do it myself. It was bad!! Rodded it myself. Could not solder it back together though.LOL. Had to take it to a shop. Finally found a small shop to finish what I started. Guy was actually impressed with the clean up I had done. Finished it up for me and all is good.

this one spins real easy. most have some drag on it. makes me think it is going bad. not sure but do not need to take a chance with it going on a 1500 mile trip. if I am going to have to replace it, better to do it now than on the side of the road.

-
Back