whats better 6a or 6al

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
some one localy is selling a whole msd ignition for 350 from distrib to 6a box

but the thing is should i get it even though its a 6a or should i get the 6al or jsut get the 6a and add the rev limiter let me know thanks

That is not a bad price if everything is in good working clean condition! I would say yes and add the rev limiter.

I am not sure what the max is but you have a little chip that is interchangeable and each chip represents what RPM you want to go to,4000,4500,5000,5500,6000,6500 and so on .

FWIW, I have been driving and beating on cars for over 30 years and never had a rev limiter and never felt the need for one. When I decided I needed a multi spark box I just got the 6A.

anyone know if its ok to run a 6AL box with out a chip in it ? I keep forgetting I gave the chip in my box to a friend.

I've got the chip out of mine right now Adam. I'm not having any problems. I am going to put it back in when I remember to do it.

Jack

I've got the 6al in my duster,and good thing i've hit the rev limiter a couple of times running at the track..oops....

Talked to the MSD tech guys. Both boxes are = (except for) the rev limiter chips. I've been told by techs without the chips they will do "no" damage to the box itself. 6al boxes minus the chip only makes it now a a 6a box! The 6al is a must have if you like to drag race alot or always pushing your Rev limits, miss a shift??? etc.

I picked up the 6a for about 213.00 CN, about an extra 75.00 wanted for the rev limiter or 6al.

Over all...I found it excellent! Better gas mileage, lots of snap and just looking now at the key seems to want the motor to flash..(it's a nice feeling) :thumblef:

Your engine will blow up long before you find the rpm limit of the 6A box.

Dusterboy. My MSD box will have a 7300rpm chip in it. Are you planning on spinning faster then that ?

Dusterboy. My MSD box will have a 7300rpm chip in it. Are you planning on spinning faster then that ?

Adam, Wow....that even sounds like your on the cutting edge. She must be screaming :shaking:

well i wont be hire then 6k but i want something thats going to protect my motor

If you want too be sure...then spend the extra and get it and put the 6K chip in it! You never know, down the road you may want one anyways with any upgrades etc that you may do..:book:

true thanks im also going to be using the msd coil and distib with this setup and a autometer tach

The rev limiter is what determines if your motor is safe. You can change the pills to set were the rev limiter goes on. It has nothing to do with what RPM the box will go.

true thanks im also going to be using the msd coil and distib with this setup and a autometer tach

Just so you know...Some tachs will not work directly with the MSD. Depending, you may also need to get a MSD Tech adapter box. If you have a tach already, try it out first with the MSD (before) you buy the extra box.

ALSO Make sure you read all the directions or you could burn something out "fast". Good Luck

-
Back