whats the best engine for both performance and mileage??

-

wiseguy

Reaction score
I found an almost rust free 70 dart and am trying to do a cost effective mild restoration. Planning an overdrive automatic and would like good power. I was thinking about stroking a 360 but would I be better off with a 318. I can get the 318 engine and trans out of a 91 pickup for nothing.
Any suggestions and what kind of MPG can I get with various senerios. PS I was planning a 3.55 Posi.
Thanks
Greg Wise

I heard the LSx is a good choice:D There is a thread on here some where. 25mpg and 400hp

67cc5e85_200px-Trollface.svg.png

Your question is a little broad for very good responses. I would suggest maybe narrowing in on a horsepower "or" mileage goal and try to build from there. My opinion is 275-300hp would run very well for a driver and still be capable of decent, 20ish, highway mileage with the OD.

Here's a link to a few members discussing some combinations that may be what your looking for...........
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174188

It depends on how much work you want to do with the car. If you want an o/d trans (auto) and don't want to cut the tranny tunnel you'll want to install a GM 200R4. That said if you are willing to cut the tunnel why limit yourself to a 4 speed? I'd install a 6 speed auto (if you want to stay auto).

Lemme see, power and good gas mileage! 89-92 LA 360.Got one in my 64 Signet, runs strong and get 19 + mpg with 3:55 gears and a 727

When it comes to engine size and MPG it's generally true larger engine gonna use more fuel & air at any given rpm that's why they make more HP & TQ at any given rpm. Since you've already picked your final gear ratio (cruising rpm) the larger the engine the more fuel your gonna use but a 318 is about 20% smaller if you went with 20% less gear like 2.74 you would get about the same MPG. Also if you built them both for 400HP and use the two different gear ratios you get similar straight line performance. Also if your looking for gas mileage and decent power you want to build in the powerband idle-5500 a 318 gonna make 3oo+HP in that band and a 408 gonna make 400+hp so even with the lesser gear the 408 will be faster and get similar mileage.

Have you thought about forced induction? I hear they are efficient as long as you don't smash the gas pedal. But im not sure if it is an economical choice.

318 or 360 can both knock down 20+ mpg.Keep the cam mild.X2,on the 200r4.

Not sure if "Wiseguy" wants to go there, but i'm on board green:thumblef:.
Yeah I get over 20 on the highway with a similar combo , throw in the O/D trans and I can see 25 mpg very possible , as long as you don't mash the pedal every 10 seconds .

Thanks for everyones input. I am just starting to research and this is the first i have heard of putting in a gm 200r4. I will have to read up on this.
Thanks again

I found an almost rust free 70 dart and am trying to do a cost effective mild restoration. Planning an overdrive automatic and would like good power. I was thinking about stroking a 360 but would I be better off with a 318. I can get the 318 engine and trans out of a 91 pickup for nothing.
Any suggestions and what kind of MPG can I get with various senerios. PS I was planning a 3.55 Posi.
Thanks
Greg Wise

IMO there is one way to do a high performance setup while keeping drivability on an old carb'd engine. Nitrous.

Do a stock bore 360, mild cam, and spray it for track days.

I've got a stock bore magnum 360 with a fairly aggressive cam and the notion of "good mpg" is a freaking joke.

I heard the LSx is a good choice:D There is a thread on here some where. 25mpg and 400hp

that build is a lauging stock, could'nt build a high horsepower mopar so you had to do like everybody does and put a chebby in it

could have put a mopar magnum EFI in your car for about $5,000 cheaper and make 300+ HP stock without mods, 400 easy with a few upgrades

...now back to the MOPAR disscussion

that build is a lauging stock, could'nt build a high horsepower mopar so you had to do like everybody does and put a chebby in it

could have put a mopar magnum EFI in your car for about $5,000 cheaper and make 300+ HP stock without mods, 400 easy with a few upgrades

...now back to the MOPAR disscussion

purists...smh.

Carry on with your inferior engine.

I did the magnum route, you need heads(because ma mopar makes crap engines), an agressive cam, headers, a big intake, w/ a large carb to make 300whp.

In all likelyhood, it costs me more than a cheap 5.3 LS motor, which makes 300hp stock.

I can't wait to kick the worst part of a mopar out of my car. :finga:

the general consensus seems to be that mopar engines just plain suck, are expensive to build , and the HP to dollar figure is through the roof. i guess i am just pissing away my money building my engines to perform when i should be sticking chevy power in my mopars and still have enough left over to buy trim rings.

put a chebby engine in your mopar then, while your at it put some nova signs on it and a really ugly black underhood paint job

may as well go full fledge and put a grey interior in it as thats what 98% of chevs have

put a chebby engine in your mopar then, while your at it put some nova signs on it and a really ugly black underhood paint job

may as well go full fledge and put a grey interior in it as thats what 98% of chevs have

sure I would do that, if i was narrow minded and thought the engine defined the car...but i'm not.

I'll just keep the mopar looks that i like and pair it with a superior engine. This way when gas gets to absurd prices(more absurd than they are now) there can still be a classic mopar on the road...whereas the purists will just be parked and trailering their rides places.(might as well not own the car at that point)

Unlimited budget. build up a 318 for a turbo, fuel injection, bolt up a turbo, then set it up so it cruises around on low octane and when you get into boost it switches over to race gas. water/meth injection maybe too. then obviously an od trans of some sort, lots of good options.

Limited budget 318 or 360 that came fuel injected, harvest all the FI stuff and motor and drop it in.

This guy got some good mpgs with his 318
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=best&Number=3944014&page=0&fpart=all

-
Back