What's the correct finish on these tabs?

-

GSS

Reaction score
Mine appear to have been dipped in a Plasti Kote type coating, then they were covered with yellow paint at some point. The rubber coating appears original but I have seen several unrestored engine bays that had nothing but body color on these tabs. What is correct?
IMG_1019.JPG

The rubber coating on those tabs is original on my 71 dart.

If you post the year and model folks may be able to narrow it down more.

Depends on the year. My 66’ has paint only. My 72’ has the rubber type coating that is painted over body color.

My ‘75 also has a rubber type coating that’s painted over with body colour paint.

My 67’ Barracuda has the rubber

Last edited:
The rubber coating on those tabs is original on my 71 dart.

If you post the year and model folks may be able to narrow it down more.
72 Demon

Depends on the year. My 66’ has paint only. My 72’ has the rubber type coating that is painted over body color.
Paint over the rubber seems to be the way it was done in these years. I wonder how the pro resto guys address this? If you paint them and then bend them around the wires, the paint will crack but if you bend the tabs before painting it is difficult to paint both sides of the tab. And of course it is also hard to fish the wires through then.

They were installed at the factories with the dipped ends.

The bodies were later painted as assemblies.

So they do not always have even paint coverage on all sides & yes, at times paint flaked off and / or cracked when the tabs were folded around the wire loom farther down the line.

I left mine with the curve that was original to hold the wires to minimize the cracking after paint.

Rubber, body color, 67 Barracuda

Alan

The tabs were bent as a square ended "U", then dipped into the rubber, spot welded to the firewall, and then painted when the rest of the car was painted. I left out the "Half assed painted engine compartment" part....lol. That's just the way it was! The little bit of paint the tabs got flaked off.

-
Back