What's the difference in a 727 bb trans and Hemi trans???

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I have a 727 torqueflight trans that we've had for eons. We were told that it was a Hemi 727. How do I find out for sure if it is really a Hemi 727 or just a big block trans? They both have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing. What do I need to look for?

..............the number on the pan rail...........it will have a 2 1/2 in wide kd band and 5 clutch front drum, also 4 pinions front and rear.....a 440-6 trans is pretty much the same...if u post the # I can tell u what it is.....kim......

Here are some pictures. I hope this is what you need to help me, if not tell me where to find any other numbers.

Thanks

Pan rail number 2538389 (in your picture) is a 1966 426 Hemi 727 Transmission Case.

If the internals haven't been swapped out for something else, it is a Hemi 727

Pan rail number 2538389 (in your picture) is a 1966 426 Hemi 727 Transmission Case.

If the internals haven't been swapped out for something else, it is a Hemi 727

Thanks guys!

............good score............kim.........

thanks. We've had it for years.

It came with the Hemi that dad bought. He ended putting the Hemi in his Roadrunner convertible that had a 4 speed.

My son's trying to convince me to sell it.

However, It would be good on my 440 max wedge engine.

thanks. We've had it for years.

It came with the Hemi that dad bought. He ended putting the Hemi in his Roadrunner convertible that had a 4 speed.

My son's trying to convince me to sell it.

However, It would be good on my 440 max wedge engine.
I'd keep it too if it was mine,prob worth a chunk for sure to someone with a hemi car and looking for date codes and such....dont see them very often..I'd mount it on an engine stand and pay pittance to it every morning and say some hail hemi's...lol

No way I'd get rid of that if I was contemplating a 440.
Any good 727 would be fine, but having the actual hemi trans, Priceless.

Unless it's worth enough to get a lot of other stuff I needed.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm with you on saving it for the Max....

I would have it rebuilt by my trans guy in Michigan before I use it. It has a deep sump pan and no filter. My guy would get that all fixed up and "ready to rumble"....

Don't forget it will also have the 5.1 kickdown lever, too.

-
Back