Whats the difference?

-

68fastback

Reaction score
Is their a difference between a 318-727, 340-727 and 360-727. I am doing a swap and need to know if their is a difference between the trans in the 318, 340 and 360 or are they all the same.

The smallblock 727 will bolt up to all three. Same bolt pattern. There are differences in the flexplates, converters, and balancing requirements.

so i am getting a 727 out of a 318 and bolting it up to a 360. What do I need to change?

Get a B & M flexplate that is weighted for the externally balanced 360. that way you can run a neutrally balanced convertor.

You can use both your old converter and flex-plate if you are just doing a trans swap.

But if you change the flex-plate OR converter you will need to make sure you get the right things.

If you have a convertor from a 318, just a flexplate. Someone here may remember the part number you'll need.

I am swaping from a manual to an auto so all the help I could get would be great. I am getting a trans and converter out of a 318, and I dont have a converter for the 360. The 360 is out of a auto and I am putting them together then droping it in the car. The 360 has a flex plate on it but sounds like I will need to replace that.

You should be ok just swapping to the b&m flexplate for a 360.. I believe the 318 converters are neutral balanced.

What about the starter? I no longer have the one for an auto but still have a starter for a manual trans. Will the manual trans starter work?

Yes!!
And one other difference between the 727 TF models..
Number of clutch plates. Hi-Po models had more than the pedestrian models and Hemis had the most.

without knowing what flexplate is on the 360 I can't answer your question. Did the 360 have a 727 or a 904 behind it. If it was a 727 and you can verify you have the correct flexplate on the 360 then you could use that converter as long as it's for a 360 with a 727.

the 360 had a 727 on it but I cannot find if the converter is for a 360 or not it just said it is balanced and its for a 727.

10417 - B&M Tork Master Converters Details
Tork Master 2400

Has 10" bolt circle
When used with an externally balanced engine, B&M Chrysler converters require a B&M flexplate
Does not fit lock-up converter or clutch converter models

360 is external balance. From this info I would say you need the b&m flexplate also

-
Back