Whats the differences? SB 727 vs BB 727

-

MoparOrNokar

HammerTime
Reaction score
I am trying to do my first rebuild on my small block 727. I have all my new parts here and ready to go. I tore down the trans tonight to find out i have some serious problems inside. I might have a hookup on some core parts but its a BB 727. Question is, is the only difference in the bell housing bolts. Are the internals the same. I need both clutch retainer assemblies and maybe the stator on the pump.

20170323_185059.jpg

20170323_192126.jpg

Depending upon the year model, some of the internal components "may" be different, I'm not really sure. I had a BB 727, RMVB, no low band apply, with trans brake & a 5000 stall converter. I swapped it all over to a SB 727 case with no problems. I hope it all works out for you.

Depending upon the year model, some of the internal components "may" be different, I'm not really sure. I had a BB 727, RMVB, no low band apply, with trans brake & a 5000 stall converter. I swapped it all over to a SB 727 case with no problems. I hope it all works out for you.
I just picked up a motorhome 727 tonight. Hopefully this will be my answer. I will tear it down tonight and see what she looks like. If anything at least i have better planets now haha

...............U can swap the planetaries if the spline angle is the same , sometime in the mid 70s the angle was changed.........kim..........

Ended up not having 4 pinion planets. Just reg ones. It had the short tail with the bolt yoke though. Win some loose some. The donor was rebuilt but i dont thinknit was ever installed and run. Friction faces still had lettering on them. U can see in the pics

20170325_125130.jpg

20170325_124152.jpg

If things don't work out with the motorhome trans. www.wittrans.com sells used parts real cheap

In addition to the output shaft splines changing in 76 the pump and front clutch carrier changed in 71 to the wider bushing style. Can't say positively but the front carrier in the last picture looks like it has the 71 and up wider bushing. A much better design IMO

If things don't work out with the motorhome trans. www.wittrans.com sells used parts real cheap

In addition to the output shaft splines changing in 76 the pump and front clutch carrier changed in 71 to the wider bushing style. Can't say positively but the front carrier in the last picture looks like it has the 71 and up wider bushing. A much better design IMO
Yes everything is good. My trans is a 74. I have the pump and both clutch retainers reassembled. So far so good. I didnt switch the planets. It had the same as my trans. 3 pinion alum basket

-
Back