Whats the one Mopar you found but could never get your hands on???

-

340doc

Reaction score
Most of us on here have been into Mopars for quite some years and we've got some great stories about cars we had and bought over the years. BUT lets here about the one you found and pursued but could never convince the owner to sell! For me it was the mid 80's and a guy that lived in a apartment bldg. near the gas station I worked at had a 70 Challenger convt. 440/6pack. Top tore, no back window. It was orange with a white top and white interior. The car was pretty wore out He drove it every day though, right by my work. I expressed my interest several times but no luck. I still wonder what became of that one!

a 1972 340 Scamp. - it was the real deal - owner was a Chrysler exec. and had special ordered the car.. it was drop dead awesome!! ..some dillweed bought it from the guys wife when he passed away - - they took it apart and used the engine and trans in something else. I never did find out where the body went... the memory of that car still haunts me..

THERE WAS A GUY WITH A B5 SUPERBIRD THAT SAT BEHIND HIS HOUSE SINCE AT LEAST 1987 AND I NEVER SAW IT MOVE OR WAS IT WORKED ON. NOW YOU COULDN'T SEE IT FROM THE STREET OR FROM THE SIDE YARDS BUT I WAS HELPING A FRIENDS DAD OUT AND WAS ON HIS ROOF. MY FRIENDS DAD SAID HE WOULD TALK TO THE GUY AND SEE IF IT WAS FOR SALE OR COULD I JUST LOOK AT IT. WELL THE GUY NOT ONLY WOULDN'T LET ME LOOK AT BUT SAID HE WOULDN'T SELL IT TO ME EVER BECAUSE I WAS SPYING ON HIM. GO FIGURE THEN ONE DAY IT JUST WAS GONE AND I NEVER SAW IT OR HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT AGAIN.

This one is a little different than most stories.
My Dad had a Black with red interior 67 Belvedere and he just WOULD NOT let go of that damn thing for nothing. :D
Looked like this only with factory wheels and caps.
Love those body lines still to this day.

67Bel.jpg

Most of us on here have been into Mopars for quite some years and we've got some great stories about cars we had and bought over the years. BUT lets here about the one you found and pursued but could never convince the owner to sell! For me it was the mid 80's and a guy that lived in a apartment bldg. near the gas station I worked at had a 70 Challenger convt. 440/6pack. Top tore, no back window. It was orange with a white top and white interior. The car was pretty wore out He drove it every day though, right by my work. I expressed my interest several times but no luck. I still wonder what became of that one!

I was 17, i had just joined the Army and was leaving for basic in early june, about a week before, I spotted a car inside a barn just down from my grandparent's farm. I stopped, it was a b5 blue, 1970 340 cuda. It was complete, not much rust, it was even on jack stands, parked in 79 with reverse out of the tranny. Guy wanted 500 bucks. I had the cash but being 17, in my state, you had to have parental permission to title a vehicle and mom wouldnt let me buy it because it didn't have air bags......... I shipped to basic training, came back and learned the guy had crushed it just a week before....for 150 bucks, still kicking myself, almost 12 years later

Last edited:
I was 17, i had just joined the Army and was leaving for basic in early june, about a week before, I spotted a car inside a barn just down from my grandparent's farm. I stopped, it was a b5 blue, 1970 340 cuda. It was complete, not much rust, it was even on jack stands, parked in 79 with reverse out of the tranny. Guy wanted 500 bucks. I had the cash but being 17, in my state, you had to have parental permission to title a vehicle and mom wouldnt let me buy it because it didn't have air bags......... I shipped to basic training, came back and learned the guy had crushed it just a week before....for 150 bucks

But didn't she know that real cars don't come with air bags???

But didn't she know that real cars don't come with air bags???
yeah....... yeah... what i should have done was buy it and hide it at the farm for 6 months.....

There has been so many !!!
Here are a couple.
I found a 71 curios yellow 340 4sppeed challenger RT tried for years then one day it was gone !
Then there was a 69 A12 f6 green
Road Runner 440-6 4 speed .
Owner would not sell then one day he did .
There was many more as my Dad, brother and me spent many days cruising around hunting for cars !!!!
Ahh those were the days !!!
Jim

I was a high school senior in 1979. There was a 1970 Superbird for sale by owner in my home town for $1,500. The hemi orange car was a 440 4-barrel automatic in mint original condition. I tried to get my father to loan me the money to purchase it, but when I took him to look at the car his response was: "What the hell do you want with a car like that!. No"

When I was 13 (1980) there was a '70 Superbee in this alley near my house.....I wanted that car BAD....
But at 13, I couldn't come up with the $500 he was asking...yes, $500. Clean car too....383 auto.....

Jeff

When I was 13 (1980) there was a '70 Superbee in this alley near my house.....I wanted that car BAD....
But at 13, I couldn't come up with the $500 he was asking...yes, $500. Clean car too....383 auto.....

Jeff

Had to pass on a red porthole window 56 Tbird like that once, and it daily drove with no issue's that I ever heard about. (I knew the owner)
$300 bucks, but I was 15 and couldn't come up with it in time.
Heck, at the time that was just 30 bucks under my Dads monthly paycheck. :D

Had to pass on a red porthole window 56 Tbird like that once, and it daily drove with no issue's that I ever heard about. (I knew the owner)
$300 bucks, but I was 15 and couldn't come up with it in time.
Heck, at the time that was just 30 bucks under my Dads monthly paycheck. :D

"Monthly" paycheck.....dayem!

Back in 1991-1992, my cousin had a 69 GTX 440 auto with a/c bought from Texas. He had to sell it due to divorce etc. Solid and there was sand in the frame. He threw out the number 5K to me. I passed because I bought a stupid Tigershark jet ski the week before.

Found a 33 Plymouth coupe in a barn a few miles from me over 15 yrs ago. I still am working on the old gent to sell it to me. He has got to be over 90 now but still says he plans to fix it up someday.
He says it has been in his barn since before I was born. I am over 50.

69 1/2 440 6 pack super bee the a12 option just sitting in a barn that I was going to rent the farmer didn't know anything about it should have kept my mouth shut went back to get the car and it was stolen never heard about again.

The year was 1993. I had just transferred to Lewiston, Idaho as an Air Force recruiter. I was 30 years old. While driving around town I see a 1970 Challenger RT, Plum Crazy, 383 Magnum, pistol grip sitting under a tree in a backyard. The only thing I saw wrong was a piece of trim and one exhaust tip missing.

So I stopped and knocked on the door. A guy answered and said, "My mom bought it new...still has the window sticker and she''ll sell it for $8,000. I was married with two young kids and didn't have the money.

Hummmmmm, I wonder if it's still there???

1971 barracuda gran coupe 383 car. Originally ran across it in an apartment complex I the mid 80"s Engine and leather interior were in the guys apartment. Body had zero rust on it. I tried to get the guy to sell it to me on several occasions but it was "going to be fixed up one day". Never happend and I forgot about it. About 6 years later I bought my first house and it happens to be near those apartments. Drove though and the car was still sitting in the same spot and in the same condition. Still wouldn't sell it. Eventually it disappeared. Fast forward about 20 years later and walk into a friends body shop. There sat the car. He had bought it for the guys ex wife. Found out it had disappeared when they bought a house and shortly after the guy went to jail with apparently no chance of getting out. It had sat in the back yard for years until she got tired of looking at it. She had known Bob for years and called him and asked him to get rid of it for her. He gave her $500 for it and is in the process of putting it back together now

Yellow over black 71 Cuda convertible with a 383. Owned by a couple of guys ahead of me in high school in 76 or 77. Knew I was into Mopars, offered it to me when they wanted something else. My dad said "What the hell, are you nuts?" when I asked him about it. I took that as a "no". Needed a bit of work but nice car. On the bright side, I don't much like yellow cars.

My neighbor back in 1967 had a 63 Dodge 330 factory race car, aluminum fenders & hood, super stock seats with a very healthy 440 in it, it was also a 4 speed car with no console car. Black front seats, white headliner, rear seat delete, black rubber mat instead of carpet, radio & heater delete. He told me that I could have the car if I took care of his house, yard, & dogs while he was gone for the summer working on an oil rig. He died in a helicopter crash coming back from the rig. His kids (in their late 20's/30's) sold it for 500 bucks to someone that answered a classified ad in the newspaper. I was beside myself, disappointed about not getting the car, angry because he was a top notch guy who really took an interest in a kid like me when I came around to cut his yard.

1970 cuda 440/6 plumb crazy/white interior guy wanted 6,000 in 1991 may as well had been 60,000 to me.

1989, I was 17 and a local guy that had an interior shop had a 1973 Cuda 340 pistol grip 4 speed car that sat out side of his shop for years. The most I could pay him for it was 3500 and he wouldn't go below his crazy 5000 price. Still on my brain today! He even let me drive it which made it ten times worse! The e body Cuda is still my unicorn.

-- Found a 33 Plymouth coupe in a barn a few miles from me over 15 yrs ago. --
-- A little different story, about a 33 Plymouth Coupe. -- This one was built, in 78 - 79, about 20 miles from Me. I always wanted it, since back then. -- I, finally, bought it, last Year (37 years later) . - what a Hoot ! --
33 in Garage - 2.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back