What's the secret to removing Upper controls

-

71b5duster

Reaction score
I found a couple of 73-76 darts with the upper control arms still attached. I got the nuts off but I could not get the bolts to move. Is it just me or these bolts hard to get out. I hit them with a hammer but they are hard to get to. Is there a secret?

take the nuts loose, tap the bolts out enough to pry them by the heads out the rest o the way, then with a pry bar underneath the arm...lift them up and out.

if the ball joint is still attached....1st before anything...take the upper ball joint nut loose just to the last 5 threads... and with the lower arms still attached smack the upper from underneath with a sledge hammer till it pops the upper loose. now stick a floor jack under the lower to keep it from snapping down and remove the upper bal joint nut and thn proceed with whats mentioned above

It seems like the control arm bushing are freeze to the bolt. I tapped on the bolts pretty hard and they didn't move.

Here in SoCal, we remove the nuts, wiggle the UCA a little, and they fall right out. Man I love it here.

Propane torch, big breaker bar (or cheater bar on wratchet). Heat and twist until the bolt breaks loose from the bushing, then pry it out (air hammer helps). They can be a real *****, but you have to keep fighting.

Mine were frozen also. Took me a week to get them out.

Torch, sawsall, hammer...almost everything in the tool box.

Also please wear gloves...I didn't and messed up three
knuckles. Took 2 months to heal back up.

Coat the new ones with anti-seize when you install them.

-
Back