What's up - SS Brake Line Copper on inside?

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
OK Guys, need your help to figure this one out :)... Bought some SS brake line from Ebay (made in Canada), well looked great when it came in the mail. When I tried to double flare it, I noticed the first flare wasn't taking very well, instead of a nice inward flare, it was just mushroom. That's when I saw that familiar copper color on the inside.

Is this something new, are they Zinc plating 3/16" Copper tube and passing it off as SS tubing?

Thanks guys.

you don't double flare ss line. only put the single flare on it. steel line needs a double flare because it has a seam and will split along it if only single flared. is your flaring tool designed for ss?

I'm assuming it is, bought it as AutoZone, and the Counter Rep said this tool was rated for SS. It contains all the double flare tips, and the graduated clamp/bar for the various line sizes. So is standard SS line copper on the inside?

my ss line had like dot matrix lettring/numbering on the outside, don't remember the looks of the inside.

You likely have nickel plated copper tubing. Also, not all SS tubing is seamless so don't assume it is.

You likely have nickel plated copper tubing. Also, not all SS tubing is seamless so don't assume it is.

i've never seen any advertised for brake or fuel that isn't seamless. where have you seen it?

From an industrial supply house. Problem with purchasing off ebay, like the original poster is that there is no guarantee that you are getting what you think you are.

Thanks, I know kicking myself. There is no stamping or markings on the side of the tube, and also it can be bent by hand. My experience with true SS brake line is it takes alittle more effort to get a good bend. My only option now is to buy some repo lines, and hope they actually have them formed out of SS and not this copper crap.

Really Pisses you off you know :)

thanks

-
Back