Whats wrong with this thing ???????

-

moparfan68

Reaction score
i have a 1985 dodge w150 4x4 long bed with 318 auto it goes into 4wd high just fine but it wont go into 4wd low nomatter what i try it just grinds gears until i put it back into 4wd high anybody know whats goin on with this thing ???? am i missing something?

What does it do when you shut off and try it?
Should go in fine. (Even though it would suck to have to do that)

Also, do you put it in neutral in the trans first?
Do you hold the clutch in while trying to put it in?
Could be the clutch dragging.

What does it do when you shut off and try it?
Should go in fine. (Even though it would suck to have to do that)

Also, do you put it in neutral in the trans first?
Do you hold the clutch in while trying to put it in?
Could be the clutch dragging.
i have put it in nuetral and still grinding gears. and no clutch its an automatic.

Is the transmission in neutral?
i have tried it in nuetral and in drive and 1st and 2nd still the same thing grinding gears. this is my first 4x4 dodge to me its odd that it goes in 4wd high just fine but 4wd low it just grinds.

Try reversing a few feet and then putting it in. Same with when you go to take it out of low.. If it is stuck in low, try reversing a few feet.

To shift into 4Low you need to be going about 3mph. Drop you automatic into neutral and then in one quick movement, shove the shifter forward into 4Low.

i talked to the previous owner today and he said it did the same thing too him once and the shifter linkage was loose. he said he tightened it up and never had another problem im gonna look at it tomorrow hope thats it. but if you have anymore ideas im open to hear them in case its not the shifter linkage.

update now it wont go in 4wd high or low. it seems too shift fine and when your driving it in 4wd the front drive shaft turns but it wont lock into 4wd. i tried everything i know too do. i thought if the front driveshaft was turning it was locked in but its not. can someone exsplain to me whats goin on.

Sounds like something's wrong with it.

Typically for 4 high you can ease it in going down the road at a moderate speed. For 4 low you need to stop, put trans in neutral and pull into 4 low.

Unless someone put aftermarket lock outs on it, it should be engaging. There is a unit on the front axle that runs on vacuum to lock the front axles together for 4 wheel. Sometimes the unit itself seizes up from not being used or the vacuum hose goes bad.

Typically for 4 high you can ease it in going down the road at a moderate speed. For 4 low you need to stop, put trans in neutral and pull into 4 low.

Unless someone put aftermarket lock outs on it, it should be engaging. There is a unit on the front axle that runs on vacuum to lock the front axles together for 4 wheel. Sometimes the unit itself seizes up from not being used or the vacuum hose goes bad.
All of this is correct, but also there is a 4 port vacuum switch located on top of the transfer case that switches vacuum signal to lock or unlock the front hubs when you move the shifter stick in the cab. I have had to replace 2 of them so far in my 1990.
If there is a 4X4 indicator light on the dash, is it lighting up when you put it in 4WD?

George

All of this is correct, but also there is a 4 port vacuum switch located on top of the transfer case that switches vacuum signal to lock or unlock the front hubs when you move the shifter stick in the cab. I have had to replace 2 of them so far in my 1990.
If there is a 4X4 indicator light on the dash, is it lighting up when you put it in 4WD?

George
no the light dosnt work.

no the light dosnt work.
Well, then either 2 things prevent it from locking the front axle......the switch on top of the transfer case, or the vacuum motor motor on the front axle..........assuming that the bulb in the dash is not burned out.
You can use a vacuum pump on the vacuum motor to see if it's frozen. One nipple pulls to "lock", and the other pulls to "unlock".

George

-
Back