What's your Timing set to? *strokers*

-

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
For those with small block strokers, what is your timing set to?

Today I checked my 408 and adjusted down from 7 to 5 after hearing a couple of pops while cranking and the other just after firing. I have Eddy heads, 10:1 CR, Racer Brown (.470/232) cam, and 650 Mighty Demon and want to know what others have set their timing to with similar specs.

The readings are the same whether the Vacuum going to the dist is hooked up or not, that’s normal at idle, right?

I've got the initial timing on my 416 at 15 degrees...

our dist. does not have vac. advance, but total timing is at 32, this gave the most power on the dyno.

100_0560a.jpg
[/IMG]

The reading should change when you hook vacuum up to the dist. Either the line your using off the carb is a ported vacuum source (which doesn't have vacuum until you open the throttle a little) or your vacuum advance is bad.

BTW: What's your total timing set at? With a performance engine like yours you need to have the dist. recurved for less centrifugal timing that comes in quicker and run more initial timing.

And timing issues shouldn't cause any "pops". That sounds like a misfiring cylinder due to a bad plug or wire.

Just two stroker guys want to share their timing? :read2:

The reading should change when you hook vacuum up to the dist. Either the line your using off the carb is a ported vacuum source (which doesn't have vacuum until you open the throttle a little) or your vacuum advance is bad.

BTW: What's your total timing set at? With a performance engine like yours you need to have the dist. recurved for less centrifugal timing that comes in quicker and run more initial timing.
I don't know what total timing is. The dist. is a FBO unit.

Dust, I'm using a Mopar Perf distributor on a iron headed 360 running 10.2 to 1 compression and set my total timing (initial + centrifugal) to 35 BTDC. My initial ended up at 10 BTDC.

I see no reason why that would not work as a starting point for you. Fishy also has a good point regarding distributor set up. You want all your advance in by 2000 rpm and the ability to pull out centrifugal timing to allow more inital advance.

Is this a new engine that's never been fired up yet? Sounds like the idle mixture is on the lean side too.

Just two stroker guys want to share their timing? :read2:

I don't know what total timing is. The dist. is a FBO unit.

If its an FBO unit then the all in mechanical should be 32* at whatever maximum rpm the advance curve was setup for - (probably in the 2500-2800 range) and ±16* initial + 16* mech. for 32* total. Borrow /steal a dial back timing light and set your total timing at 32* at maximum advance (should be no more than 3000rpm).

On my 408 the initial timing is at 18 with vacuum unhooked. The total is at 35 all in at 3000 rpm. We did the tuning on the dyno and tried 32 to 36 total timing wth 35 being best. The engine has 10.8 cr and on pump premium 91 octane.

For those with small block strokers, what is your timing set to?

Today I checked my 408 and adjusted down from 7 to 5 after hearing a couple of pops while cranking and the other just after firing. I have Eddy heads, 10:1 CR, Racer Brown (.470/232) cam, and 650 Mighty Demon and want to know what others have set their timing to with similar specs.

The readings are the same whether the Vacuum going to the dist is hooked up or not, that’s normal at idle, right?

Timing is more a function of the cam and and design of the heads than the displacement of the motor.

The Eddy heads are better than the stock iron heads so total timing in the 32-34 range should be very close (better the head the less you need). The 232 @ 0.050" cam will like initial up in the 15 to 20 BTDC range. 5-7 BTDC for a performance cam is just not enough. The nengine won't idle well and you will have a hard timing getting the carb dialed in.

There is no vacuum on the timed vacuum port at idle so its correct to not see any additional timing when hooking up the vacuum advance.

-
Back