Whats your transmission suggestions?

-

RDupont01

Reaction score
I am currently running a 318 with a 3 speed auto and a single legger rear end. I will be upgrading to a 408 stroker and a sure grip rear end and probably running between a 373 and 410 in the rear. Havent quite decided. What tranny should I go with? Keisler quoted me a 4 speed auto for $4995. Is there a better route? I definitely want to have a 4 or 5 speed. Thanks!

Robert

Automatic or manual?

The vibe for automatic: 200R4 with the right cross member fab work, and some beef in the rebuild.

The vibe for manual: A833 with OD gears seem to be the most economical route and strong as a ox to boot. I bet you could do one complete for $500-600 bones or less. If you can find the right parts, are patient, and are willing to do some rebuild work yourself, you can save loot. There are plenty of online resources, at this point.

After 50 years of old school technology, its all been done before.

Use the search function, the buy and sell section is great. If you've just GOT to drop 5 large on a tranny for your ride (lol), wait for the 5 speed from Passion Performance. (based on the A833 box of course!) Or go with a A904 and put a gear vendor on it. It seems any thing else requires extensive surgery, on top of a hefty investment, and possibly can't take the beating that 408 is going to be throwing out anyway.

It also might pay to think about how much you drive it, and if its worth the investment to spend on a OD tranny.

http://dixielandcruisers.freeservers.com/replace_transmission.html

Breeze through that.

Great info! Thank you! Where would I be able to find either transmissions? What vehicles and years were they in?

The 4 Speed 833OD came in mid late 70's - early 80's MOPAR trucks and vans and have aluminum casings. Here's a post with a similar theme:

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113296

The 200R4:

http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transmission-identification.php

" My favorite candidates for a donor THM200-4R trans to fit a Chevy pattern are as follows;

81~90 Olds - Full Size, 88 & 98 models
83~87 Olds - Cutlass
85~87 Olds - 442 models
84~87 Pontiac - Grand Prix
84~87 Chevrolet - Malibu
84~86 Chevrolet - Monte Carlo
85~90 Chevrolet - Impala

Hope this helps;
John. "

The Guys in the know say try to find a 85+ as they have a few upgraded parts.

Good Luck, Keep us informed on that 4th tire churp. :burnout:

Automatic or manual?

The vibe for automatic: 200R4 with the right cross member fab work, and some beef in the rebuild.

Can you be more specific about what cross member fab and how much is required to fit the 200-4R?

Keisler uses the 4L60E which is a derivative of the 700-R4, so I was looking at possibly using the 700-R4 instead. It has an anoying round module in the way of the crossmember though. (see attached picture)Might require moving the motor & trans forward a little to clear it.

Attachments

• TH700R4.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 174
Why not keep the Torqueflite and hang a Gear Vendor's O.D. unit off the back. I don't believe they cost anywhere close to $5000 and their a bunch less work to install.

Because the gear vendors cost around $2600 or so + rebuild back end of trans, and the 700R4 is FREE + $500 for adapter if I can make it work. I ask the question about the 200-4R to see if it would be even easier.

Because the gear vendors cost around $2600 or so + rebuild back end of trans, and the 700R4 is FREE + $500 for adapter if I can make it work. I ask the question about the 200-4R to see if it would be even easier.

I was responding to the original poster, not you. You need to start your own thread with your question, or directly PM the person your asking a question to. Hijacking another persons thread causes confusion.

-
Back