Wheel backspacing

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
Right now I have 15x8 prostars with 4.5 bs. I have to use 3/8-7/16 spacers. I want to go to a 15x10 rim. Do I get a 4.5 bs and use the wheel spacers or should I get a 4" bs and will that work better??

THANKS!!!

I'd take it to a tire shop and have them measure for the widest possible tire and which rim with the correct bs to get that.

8" rim is ok for a 275-60-15, I think with a 10" rim you need 5.5" backspacing.

Mike
On my 70 Duster I'm running 325/50/15 Goodyear Eagle SS Dot tires With 10 x 15 Cragar with 5.5 BS. The tires are 28" tall. My SS springs are offset 1/2" - 3/4" shackles to the inside. Theres 1/2"-5/8" space between the tire & spring. Rear drums. No problems. Wheel wells are stock with no cuts or tweeks.

[email protected]

4" bs spacing would not be good. If you want the wheel to be centered like it is now you would just add 1" of backspacing to what your running now.
Your 8" wheel has 4.5" get 10" with 5.5" backspacing. I like the ideal of using the spacer to fine tune wheel fit if necessary. That is far better than not having enough backspacing. IMO

Mike
On my 70 Duster I'm running 325/50/15 Goodyear Eagle SS Dot tires With 10 x 15 Cragar with 5.5 BS. The tires are 28" tall. My SS springs are offset 1/2" - 3/4" shackles to the inside. Theres 1/2"-5/8" space between the tire & spring. Rear drums. No problems. Wheel wells are stock with no cuts or tweeks.

[email protected]

Hey Plumcrazy....You have any pics??? My SS springs are in the stock location,not moved in at all.

4" bs spacing would not be good. If you want the wheel to be centered like it is now you would just add 1" of backspacing to what your running now.
Your 8" wheel has 4.5" get 10" with 5.5" backspacing. I like the ideal of using the spacer to fine tune wheel fit if necessary. That is far better than not having enough backspacing. IMO

thats what im doing... i figured that i need 4.25 bs on a 8" rim so im going 4.5 and spacing to the best fit

Heres the question.....8" and 10" rims,both have 4.5 bs. Wont they both fit the same way toward the springs?? 4.5" is 4.5",right??

Are you looking to buy a matching set of the wheels you have on the Duster or are you buying a set just for Track Day? Personally, I'd don't like any spacers.

If you are looking at a set of steelies, PM me. I've had a set made by a guy who makes them in his own shop and he's a wealth of knowledge on both applications (which model cars have what BS/room in the wheel wells) and based on your usage, what the best fitment needs to be. I've sent at least 10-12 FABO guys to him with stellar results. BTW, he makes the steelies for Wheel Vintiques and Stockton, so you cut out the middle man.

PK

if you sell your 15x8 4.5 pro stars I might just be interested!

Heres the question.....8" and 10" rims,both have 4.5 bs. Wont they both fit the same way toward the springs?? 4.5" is 4.5",right??

Yes!

But if you run same tire as on the 8" wheel you will have less sidewall bulge giving you more tire clearance off the spring. I'm running a 10" wheel on my Demon it has 5" back spacing but I also have the springs moved in 3/4" and disk brakes on the rear that puts the wheels out about another 1/4 to 3/8 more than stock I think 5.5" of BS would have been better in my application as I have almost 3/4' space to the springs and a little rubbing on the outer fenders on bumps.

I always like to mention that back spacing between manufactures is not always measured the same. Centerline on the drag wheels seems to measure from the far inside of wheel lip with a straight edge to the hub mounting surface to get back spacing. Other manufactures seem to measure from inside wheel seat lip to hub mounting. about a 1/2 difference between the two different methods. I'm assuming your probably going back to same wheel style so probably not an issue but worth noting anytime talking back spacing

Are you looking to buy a matching set of the wheels you have on the Duster or are you buying a set just for Track Day? Personally, I'd don't like any spacers.

If you are looking at a set of steelies, PM me. I've had a set made by a guy who makes them in his own shop and he's a wealth of knowledge on both applications (which model cars have what BS/room in the wheel wells) and based on your usage, what the best fitment needs to be. I've sent at least 10-12 FABO guys to him with stellar results. BTW, he makes the steelies for Wheel Vintiques and Stockton, so you cut out the middle man.

PK

Please PM me with the contact info for your wheel guy - I have BS'ing issues with the 15x6.5 ralleye's I'm running on my 73 Duster, the 255/60's are hitting the rear springs - I didn't pay attention to the backspacing and need to correct this, and I really want to get 15x7 rims. THANKS!!:prayer:

Dave C
73 340 Duster

Buying/trading for the same prostars which I use for street and track....THANKS!!!!

PK

I had 15X10 jegs sport lites with 4.5 back spacing and BF Goodrich 275/60/15 on my 73 Dart Sport If i hit a bump hard enough it would rub on the wheel well if I had 4.75 back spacing would have been perfect. Maybe buy the 10" with 5" BS and run a 1/4" spacer or 3/8" spacer if needed. I did have superstock springs on my car for what its worth.

-
Back