Wheel base differences

-

wahzinaplymouth

Reaction score
I've been looking around for this information, but figured best to go straight to the experts. I have a 65 Dodge Dart GT in need of floor pans, and a front frame rail. I also recently acquired a 66 Valiant 2 door post parts car with immaculate frame and floor. Too bad much else was already acquired from this rust free car, but that is another story. My question is, between say, the Darts and Valiants, where in the build does one find the difference in wheelbase? In the floor? Shackles maybe? I ask because I am thinking of using the floors and front frame section from the Valiant in my Dart if they will match up. Again, the only issue I foresee would be the wheel base difference between the 2 cars, but hoping I can make it work. Any thoughts gang?

That's a great question.

I think it's a marketing ploy.

GOOD QUESTION I HAVE A se WITH THE 111 WHEELBASE. I think it is in the middle since the sub frame connectors have two sizes available.

My question is, between say, the Darts and Valiants, where in the build does one find the difference in wheelbase? In the floor

The Dart has a WB of 111 inches and the early Valiant 106 inches. The difference is all in the rear floor and of course some of the exterior sheet metal - roof, quarters

There is definitely 111 and 108 on the darts, just search the sub frame connectors.

I thought you were talking about the 1 inch difference that's supposed to be between corresponding Dodge and Plymouth models of the same year, same body style.

There is definitely 111 and 108 on the darts, just search the sub frame connectors.

Early Dart sedans, hardtops and 4 doors (63-66) were 111" WB. Early Valiants were 106 " WB. Dart wagons shared the 106" WBs of the Valiants. I'm not upon later years but weren't Demons and Dart Sports 108" WBs while hardtops and sedans were still the 111" WB?

• '60-'62 Valiant/Lancer, all models: 106-1/2"

• '63-'66 Valiant all models, Barracuda, Dart wagon: 106"

• '63-'66 Dart all models except wagon, '67-'76 Dart all models, '71-'76 Valiant Scamp: 111"

• '67-'73 Valiant all models except Scamp, '70-'76 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport: 108"

The only exceptions to the above are some '65 and all '66 Canadian Valiants, which were 111".

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I am aware of the wheelbase differences. It is just helpful to know where in the scheme of things you will find the noticeable difference between the 2 cars so I can decide whether or not the parts car floor and frame rails(106" WB) will work in the Dart(111" WB). Based on the above chatter, I'm thinking it will work.

• '60-'62 Valiant/Lancer, all models: 106-1/2"

• '63-'66 Valiant all models, Barracuda, Dart wagon: 106"

• '63-'66 Dart all models except wagon, '67-'76 Dart all models, '71-'76 Valiant Scamp: 111"

• '67-'73 Valiant all models except Scamp, '67-'72 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport: 108"

The only exceptions to the above are some '65 and all '66 Canadian Valiants, which were 111".

Your the MAN DAN!

Typo in Duster/Demon/Dart Sport year range fixed.

(And yes, the pre-'67 front floorpan will work to fix a Dart or a Valiant)

Took some pics of the inside of my '65 Dart GT (hardtop, 111" WB) and '65 Dart Wagon (4-door 106" WB). The metal stampings around the basic door opening are identical, and you can see the extra parts welded in to turn the basic car into the different body styles. First, the wagon (should be identical to a Valiant):
IMG_20160603_075634944.jpg

You can see the door closes right up against the crease that goes up and over the rear wheel tub.

The same shot on the GT:
IMG_20160603_075947080.jpg

You can see the large panel that holds the window crank mechanism. I believe it's the same part whether it's fit to a Dart or Valiant. It's welded in for the hardtop and 2-door, but would be a regular opening door for a 4-door. There's also a couple filler strips that run diagonally down and left between this large panel and the wheel tub that follow the contour of the door opening on the wagon. This is where the extra 5 inches come from here. Here's a shot of the GT floor (I didn't take a pic of the wagon):
IMG_20160603_080003191.jpg

There's what looks like a filler strip between where the lip drops for the footwell and the main part of the floor; it has a medium-sized rubber plug. I believe this is where the extra space comes from in the floor.

Last edited:
The door between the dart & Valiant are the same. So the front floor should be the same. Not sure about the rear floor, it may or may not work for you.

-
Back