Wheel Bearing Failure

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Preventative maintenance saves another breakdown.....
How much longer before this would have been a REALLY big problem?
The ole' land yacht has been together for about 12 years now. I decided it's time to take the front drums off for the 1st time since putting her together. I've only driven her about 15k miles in the 12 years. Brakes look perfect, grease seals are good, but the outer wheel bearing on the right side came out like this>>>>>

Attachments

• IMG-20150307-00593.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 262
Were those timkins or chinkachaw?
I got my first lesson replacing wheel bearings on a old c boat, had to torch off the inner race off the spindle, fun,fun

They are timkins. A buddy of mine deals in industrial parts and gets em for me at cost.

They are timkins. A buddy of mine deals in industrial parts and gets em for me at cost.

The good thing is they are serviceable and for a few dollars and time be back in good shape

The modern ones you replace the entire unit for big bucks because a cheap bearing went bad.

I have one in my Mustang that I think will need changed soon, not like I can take it apart and re grease them or replace them and be good to go.

You caught that in time, think they recommended to repackage bearings every 12,000 miles so you were over due.

Preventative maintenance saves another breakdown.....

breaking news, or in this case braking news

this is NOT preventative maintenance. this was blind luck. you caught that at the last possible 100 ft of use.

The good thing is they are serviceable and for a few dollars and time be back in good shape

The modern ones you replace the entire unit for big bucks because a cheap bearing went bad.

I have one in my Mustang that I think will need changed soon, not like I can take it apart and re grease them or replace them and be good to go.

You caught that in time, think they recommended to repackage bearings every 12,000 miles so you were over due.

They are called hubs. Take a look at SKF Bearings, they make good stuff.

-
Back