wheel color question.

-

Jazzy

Reaction score
Were all wheels painted body color from the factory regardless of wheel cover used. My 68 Formula S has the original spare wheel and redline in the trunk and it is body color. Is it correct for a car running the full wire covers to have (in my case) a ring of yellow wheel showing. I think it should but want to check.

NORMALLY, (if there was such a thing with Ma Mopar) cars that came with full wheel covers came with black wheels, cars with hub caps (dog dish, poverty caps) had body color wheels. That said, never say never.

My '68 cuda w/full wheel covers has gloss black wheels inc. spare. I think your spare is not original to the car.

I had a 69 with poverty caps the spare was body color. My 69 swinger B7 blue all 5 five 5 1/2 inch wide original wheels were body color. I later installed GTS covers.

After I went looking for a picture and saw the year I realized how long I am buying these mopars. This picture was 36 years ago. WOW.. Been doing this with my late dad since the mid 60's. I don't have pics with the poverty caps scanned in. But I know there were cars with all five body color.

Most body color wheels I have seen the tires were polyglass not power cushion. But most of the cars we bought back then were factory performance cars . You could not use a power cushion rim on a disc brake car. They hit the caliper so they didn't get the normal low budget spare .

003.jpg

I don't KNOW about all wheel colors on 60''s & 70's, but if they are anything like 2000 is cars, there all different kinds of ways to order and different options on cars. So, I don't know there is a single answer for all situations.
My dad's '68 green 340 GTS came with gloss black wheels w/red lines and full wheel covers. The spare wheel was also gloss black, but I can't remember if it was a red line tire.
My 70 Cuda came new with 15in ralleys and Polyglas tires, but spare was.a collapsible spare on a gloss black rim.
My wife's '19 Cherokee had alloy wheels, but the spare was a black steel wheel with same tire size and manufacturer. The build sheet specifically called out those options chosen.
I just bought an '09 charger police car and going thru the build sheet, there are an almost unlimited choice of wheels, tires, and spare options.
Long story short, I think there are all kinds of packages and options that are in play, so it may be tough to make a blanket statement.

-
Back