Wheel fitment

-

remytherat

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my 69 dart to 73+ sliding caliper discs. I used SBP rotors to fit my current wheels which are 14" SBP. Only trouble is for some reason they hit the outside corner of the caliper when I try to put them on. Anyone else had this issue? Is the SBP wheel a different shape that the BBP that this brake setup was designed for? Did I mess something up?

Considering grinding the calipers

I thought the 73-up brakes were big bolt pattern? So how are you using small pattern discs? I don’t think you can mix and match rotors, hubs and calipers like that.

I thought the 73-up brakes were big bolt pattern? So how are you using small pattern discs? I don’t think you can mix and match rotors, hubs and calipers like that.
Agreed. It sounds like a custom install. OP, did you use a kit from a certain supplier? But to answer your question, a little grinding can be done. But I wouldn't take off very much material.

Pirate Jack started selling 73+ brake kits drilled for 5x4” and the rotor snout turned down a bit.

DoctorDiff offers the same now on his 73+ kits.

It’s all ‘73+ brake parts.

Yeah, I got them from dr diff. The SBP steelies are maybe a different shape?

Yeah clearly they’re different somehow, the 73+ disks work fine with the BBP 14” wheels. Usually the rallye wheels have the clearance issues though.

That was the problem with some of the previous aftermarket SBP brake conversions too, they’re SBP but that doesn’t mean they clear all the original wheels out there. Which is why people want to stay SBP anyway.

I might see if a wheel spacer works, although I'm a little concerned about the tire rubbing. I'll keep everyone posted.

Just kidding I don’t have long enough wheel studs. Grinder time
oh boosville on that! probably could've gotten away with a thin spacer.

slow and steady with the flap wheel! fit & check, rinse and repeat till you get there.

that sucks man, you're so close to getting the project wrapped up!

Can't wait to be done with this ****. Fired it up on the jackstands yesterday just to hear it run for a sec

Can't wait to be done with this ****. Fired it up on the jackstands yesterday just to hear it run for a sec
if it was easy everybody would do it!

i expressed my concerns on keeping the SBP, but legit thought you wouldn't have a clearance issue and you'd just got new rubber. really didn't expect a rub, but hopefully just a light touch and you'll be back in business.

On the bright side, if you decide to get rid of that SBP stuff all you need is a stock set of 73+ rotors and BBP rims.

On the bright side, if you decide to get rid of that SBP stuff all you need is a stock set of 73+ rotors and BBP rims.
i know a guy who's got that stuff stacked up in his shop waiting for him to change his mind...

I did the dr diff sbp conversion for my 66 barracuda and my original 14 in steel wheels didn't clear the calipers as well. I then went to the 14in SBP rallyes which did fit for me and are working fine. I got the wheels off of wheels vintiques

-
Back