Wheel hop

-

JGABBARD

Reaction score
My 65 Barracuda is wheel hopping most noticably as its coming out of the water box. It has an adjustable pinion snubber that is fully extended but doesnt touch the body. How much load should the stubber have? I am running an 8 3/4 with 10 1/2 slickes. Automatic trans 4500 stall. Thanks

I'd consider stiffer rear shocks. A long time ago I had some wheel-hop under marginal track conditions even with SS springs. I believe I was using the Mopar auto drag shocks at the time. I switched to Ranchos and the problem went away. If the track wasn't good, it would spin, but smoothly. The harder a car launches, the stiffer the rear shocks need to be. They help control/dampen rear suspension movement.

If you have OEM style springs, clamping all the front leaves may help. But SS springs would be better.

It's debatable whether you should use a snubber with SS springs. I have one with about 3/4" clearance, for whatever it's worth. I'm sure it doen't hurt.

Rear end may be too high if your snubber is fully entended! But check your pinion angle to be safe and make sure your front suspension is reasonable loose.

Mine is mostly street with drag radial but my Demon was sufferring from wheel hop also. And I had "porpoising" as I went through the gears. My pinion snubber was 1/2" from floor and I had pinion down 6 degrees. I removed pinion snubber, (went back to stock) and adjusted pinion to 4 degrees down. No wheel hop or porpoising after I made the changes.

Subscribed, I want to see what other responses you get.

I have ss springs and moroso truck shocks. Should I be looking at 50/50 shocks. I have 90/10s on front Front end is new have big block torsion bars. 383 B engine running 11.80s. thanks

-
Back