wheel issues...

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
Since I put my Wilwood brake kit on, I haven't been able to move my car. Why, you ask? Well, I tried to put the stock 14" rim back on, but the wheel center was too small. Okay, so I got the old stock Jeep wheels out, put a rim (minus tire) on it, and it seemed okay. Got two new tires put on it, and went to put them on. After getting the right size lugnuts, I finally had them on.

I go to spin a tire to make sure they spin freely, and they don't even move. I found out that they hit the upper control arm ball-joint housing (thankfully not the ball joint itself).

So I say okay, I'll just find a rim that will have more backspacing, that'll work. Well, I measured clearance this morning, and I don't have more than 3/4" at the top of the wheel well. And that's with the wheel straight.

knuckle.jpg

I am not sure what to do at this point, I want to try to not waste my 15" wheels up front, but I don't know how I can manage 15" wheels with that little clearance. Any ideas? I was just going to order some cheap 15x6" steelies on Summit with 4.75" backspacing, does that sound like it would work?

I am going to be changing wheels in the future all the way around, I just don't have enough money to do it right now, unfortunately.

You didn't say what car you're putting this on. In general, increasing the backspacing brings the rim closer to the center of the car. The Mopar 15x7 Rallye wheels had 4½ in backspace. The Magnum wheels used on the C-bodies had 4¼ on the same size wheel. The Demon has 15x7 Rallyes mounted with 235/60-15s.
The other thing you didn't say was whether the "hat" on the Wildwood hub was taller than stock or not. If there's a difference, it will affect the backspacing that will work in your situation. Try contacting Stockton Wheel (http://www.stocktonwheel.com ) They may be able to provide better advice from their experiences.

-
Back