wheel not fitting?

-
Why not just put a few washers on each lug and just tighten the drum down. If it spins freely you probably have a wheel problem. I've had problems with Chinese drums not cut deep enough that would bottom on the shoes when tightened. And if you are cranking down on the lugs hard enough to snap them you're trying to force something that should require very little force.

good point...but those drums have been on there for years
im leaning to the idea that the mags interfered with the drums...but your idea is a good way to see if the drum is now useless or not

Quick update...it was definitely the weights

The shop is going to order two new drums (passenger side was iffy too)
And she should be back on the road again

i just picked the car up again today
(i couldnt get on it very hard because of the rain) but it sure felt like all is well

i had them replace the wheel bearing while they were in there, the tire shop picked up the tab for the two new drums and studs

she sure looks pretty with matching rims

i just picked the car up again today
(i couldnt get on it very hard because of the rain) but it sure felt like all is well

i had them replace the wheel bearing while they were in there, the tire shop picked up the tab for the two new drums and studs

she sure looks pretty with matching rims
outa site! someone actually stood behind their work !

outa site! someone actually stood behind their work !

i was fully expecting them to tell me that since i supplied both the wheels and the car, it was my responsibility to check and make sure it fitted before bringing it over to them
but, the fact remains, it was their installing something that didnt fit, and forcing it on that broke it, and they accepted that

UPDATE
so today i drove the car for the first time since i got the wheels and new drums and all on and she pulls to the left, hard

she didnt do this before, and the alignment was decent (not professionally done, steering wheel not centered, but she drove true)

with the new drums, could this be an issue with one drum dragging or could all this have thrown the alignment of?

If the drums didn't go on straight over the hubs it could be cocked a little. The knurled part of studs have to go thru the drums straight or the drum won't turn true. I would jack that side up and see how it turns by hand the adjuster may also be too tight

Pretty much only 4-5 things can cause a car to "pull" to one side:
1. Brake(s) not adjusted correctly (check all 4 corners).
2. Something is way off in the front end alignment.
3. Something is seriously worn out in the front end (could be cause of #2 above).
4. Broken/worn out torsion bar(s), sway bar, shock(s), or leaf spring(s). Check all 4 corners.
5. Tire(s) not inflated properly.

Do any of the drums get hot in a short distance. I'd look for damage to the front end due to improper lift use.

I did not notice anything getting hot
Or any signs of wear on the drums

I pulled both wheels and drums off and backed the brakes off a little
Tightened everything down to 65 foot pounds on the lugnuts and noticed the wheels turned much smoother then before

Took her out for a test drive and there was no difference, still pulls hard to the left

IF I keep the wheel straight when I get on the brakes the car stops straight (and I can let go of the steering wheel without it going of course)

The only other thing that gothe replaced was the wheel bearings

I guess ill have a closer look at everything tomorrow

i was fully expecting them to tell me that since i supplied both the wheels and the car, it was my responsibility to check and make sure it fitted before bringing it over to them
but, the fact remains, it was their installing something that didnt fit, and forcing it on that broke it, and they accepted that
Right, they're the professionals, they are responsible for checking for proper fit /clearance/design. They should've caught that & informed you. As far as pulling goes, is the
steering wheel straight when you let go of it?What I'm getting at is if the alignment was correct/wheel straight, drifting due to suspension/align change will often be accompanied
by the wheel not being straight when released. If the wheel is actually being pulled to the left and continues, something is dragging or bent. Are these different tires? Try flipping
them side to side, then see if it stops or changes direction. Oh, and I would be sure the bearing is not over-tightened, it's happened-even in the "good ole days". My dad sat on a
jury in the '70's, when someone tried to sue GM because front bearings locked up and snapped the spindle off their ElCamino. Problem was they just had that wheel pulled for
State insp., and the monkey cranked it down way too tite, failed in no time. Not Guilty, and pick a new mechanic........

-
Back