Wheel opinions needed

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 2 sets of wheels for the Duster. Turbines and police wheels. I'm kinda leaning towards the turbine wheels myself. I have the dog dishes for the police wheels as well if it makes a difference.
Thoughts?
20220721_122720.jpg

20220721_122751.jpg

I normally don’t like turbines, but I think with that cool purple color that’s the only way to go!

I'm pretty much a steelies and dog dish kind of guy, but I vote for the turbines. They look sharp!

I don't think you're giving the police wheels and caps a fair shake with that picture. Looks like the police wheels could use some refinishing, and running the caps really changes the appearance. Or even just running a small chrome cap to cover the grease cap and using some chrome lugs.

I like the police wheels myself...
img_3620-jpg.jpg

That's very much a matter of personal taste- run what YOU like.
That said, I was never a big fan of Turbine wheels, but if you like them run them- and give me the cop rims!

in my opinion, the police wheels only look good on dull paint
(the wannademon posted above is a perfect example)

with the shiny paint you have, you need something fancier then cop wheels

the only exception would be if you were to strip the cop wheels and paint them body color, then we might be on to something, but with the given options...turbines

(on a side note, it reminds me of this model car)

s-l1600.jpg

I agree with use what you like, but you did ask, so......I think the cop wheel look is over done, so my vote is the turbines, but either can look fine.

I also agree with @72bluNblu that you kinda were a little unfair to the cop wheels in your pictures. lol

I don't think you're giving the police wheels and caps a fair shake with that picture. Looks like the police wheels could use some refinishing, and running the caps really changes the appearance. Or even just running a small chrome cap to cover the grease cap and using some chrome lugs.
Another option is the Chrysler Road Wheel centers on the police rims- with a gunmetal grey or argent paint job they look just like the Super Coupe wheels.
upload_2022-7-21_14-39-56.jpeg

and even better with trim rings added.
upload_2022-7-21_14-41-43.jpeg

To give you an idea, here they are on a purple Aspen:
OIP.WeoGzxts2h_-ZaTcU6bEngHaEK?w=263&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

I agree with use what you like, but you did ask, so......I think the cop wheel look is over done, so my vote is the turbines, but either can look fine.

I also agree with @72bluNblu that you kinda were a little unfair to the cop wheels in your pictures. lol
True. I cleaned up one cop wheel and put a center cap on. I don't have enough purple left to spray them body color. I could black and clear them. The car will have black side stripes. I still kinda think the turbines, but still need to locate centers for them.
20220721_154114.jpg

I'm leaning towards the turbines for sure. Some cars they look bad on but in my eyes they work great on that purple Duster. I like black cop car wheels but I think they look better on cars with lighter colors.

True. I cleaned up one cop wheel and put a center cap on. I don't have enough purple left to spray them body color. I could black and clear them. The car will have black side stripes. I still kinda think the turbines, but still need to locate centers for them.View attachment 1715958942
I think painted argent, the cop wheels might win out. The black just doesn't do it with the purple, IMO. But it's YOURS! do what you want and it'll be cool cause it's yours!

Like yourself I have just 2 sets of wheel - a set of brand new 14 inch chrome Magnum 500’s and set of 15 inch 10 spoke 80’s Mirada wheels. I wanted to use the Magnum 500’s on my 65 but figured I’d have to use the Mirada wheels to clear the rear disc brakes. To my surprise the 14 inch Magnums cleared the rear calipers with room to spare. That made my decision easy!

83361B92-E138-4830-9089-D4069F3C955E.jpeg

You said the car is getting a black side stripe? That will significantly change the look of the police wheels having another piece of black on the car. The police wheels by themselves, I'm thinking go with the turbines. The police wheels with a black stripe on the car, I'm thinking they'll look nice.

Whatever you like best should be all that matters but between the two of them I say turbines.

The turbines do work on your car. I'm guessing due to that purple. May not on many other colors combos.

It's strange how that just sometimes happens?

Closest thing i found on the net with a black stripe...
1974-plymouth-duster.jpg

If you like that, it's cool. I personally would run the turbines for now, but that car is really asking for a little pop in the wheels. I personally would save up and put something chrome or polished on it down the road. jmo :)

Closest thing i found on the net with a black stripe...
View attachment 1715959087

If you like that, it's cool. I personally would run the turbines for now, but that car is really asking for a little pop in the wheels. I personally would save up and put something chrome or polished on it down the road. jmo :)
I think that is the stripe I got and I have the 6 pack hood as well. Thanks for finding it.
I do plan on selling the car when it's finished. I have something else in the works.
Paul

On a side note, matching turbines would look killer on that ramcharger aswell

I vote for the turbines but I've always loved them so I'm a little biased. Really love the higher vane count versions. Otherwise, on the steelies, I would have to have them body color to look right to me but that's just my taste!

-
Back