Wheel size and back spacing

-

Freighttrain

Reaction score
I’m looking at some wheels for the Duster build. I’m looking at are 15x8 with a 4.5” backspacing for the street. The other wheels I’m looking at for slicks are 15x10 with a 5.5” backspacing.

My question is can someone tell me if I’m correct that the wheel would be at least an inch closer to the quarter panel. With the 15x10’s

I have a 68 B body rear. I went 6” and went with 255’s. It worked out perfect. Thanks to advice from the board here. They are centered with room to spare. Probably could have gone 265 but I didn’t need to worry about making it that close.

I’m looking at some wheels for the Duster build. I’m looking at are 15x8 with a 4.5” backspacing for the street. The other wheels I’m looking at for slicks are 15x10 with a 5.5” backspacing.

My question is can someone tell me if I’m correct that the wheel would be at least an inch closer to the quarter panel. With the 15x10’s
would also be 2" closer to the springs. 1" on wheel width, and 1" on the 5.5 " offset, (offset would move it 1" by itself.) I think since ur moving the wheel in an inch, that would make up for the extra inch on the out side .

would also be 2" closer to the springs. 1" on wheel width, and 1" on the 5.5 " offset, (offset would move it 1" by itself.) I think since ur moving the wheel in an inch, that would make up for the extra inch on the out side .
Nah Man, You're right if the OP had said "offset", but the back spacing going up 1"on a 2" wider rim means the offset is the same, so the OP is correct.

Nah Man, You're right if the OP had said "offset", but the back spacing going up 1"on a 2" wider rim means the offset is the same, so the OP is correct.
1" more offset, will move the wheel in 1" ! 1" wider wheel , will make another 1" toward the springs ! That`s 2": where I went to school ! Maybe were talking about offset to the inside, versus offset to the out side ???? I`m thinking offset to the inside . Just reread the OP`s first post, he did say from 4.5 to 5.5 , which would move the wheel toward the springs.

1" more offset, will move the wheel in 1" ! 1" wider wheel , will make another 1" toward the springs ! That`s 2": where I went to school ! Maybe were talking about offset to the inside, versus offset to the out side ???? I`m thinking offset to the inside . Just reread the OP`s first post, he did say from 4.5 to 5.5 , which would move the wheel toward the springs.
Back spacing is simply the dimension from wheel mounting surface to the innermost edge of the rim, adding 2" overall to a rim, but only adding 1" to the back spacing means
You've added 1" out, & 1" in,....which means the offset is the same...................................offset is how far from centered in the rim the mounting face is...................

2” wider wheel. 1” on the inside (which shows up on the backspace), one inch on the outside. You lose 1” to the springs, and 1” to the quarter.

The offset on both wheels is zero.

And for the OP, if you have stock spring locations and wheel tubs, the widest tire you’re going to get in there is a 275 unless the rear of the car is jacked way up in the air. Which makes the 15x10 kind of a waste. If you have spring offset, or a relocation with mini-tubs, carry on.

2” wider wheel. 1” on the inside (which shows up on the backspace), one inch on the outside. You lose 1” to the springs, and 1” to the quarter.

And for the OP, if you have stock spring locations and wheel tubs, the widest tire you’re going to get in there is a 275 unless the rear of the car is jacked way up in the air. Which makes the 15x10 kind of a waste. If you have spring offset, or a relocation with mini-tubs, carry on.
AH SO. GOT UR DRIFT NOW !

Will have the off set hangers and shackles. Considering a mini tub but not sure yet.

I have 275 60R15 on 15x9 with 5” backspacing and a 1/4 inch spacer. See Three Mopars from Canada photo garage and comments for all the details and pictures

are all these on stock suspensions?

No, the 15x10's would be for a car with the springs offset at least a 1/2". With the stock suspension on a Duster though you can fit 275/60/15's on a 15x8. Backspace needed depends on the axle being used.

My stock rear end(7 1nd 1/4) right now looking at running a 8 1/4, 8 3/4, or 8.8. But the 7 1/4 setup, I had 15x9 245/60/15.

My stock rear end(7 1nd 1/4) right now looking at running a 8 1/4, 8 3/4, or 8.8. But the 7 1/4 setup, I had 15x9 245/60/15.

Right, but you have a Dart if I'm not mistaken. Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports and Barracuda's have wheel tubs that are 1" wider than the Dart's do. Most Dart's can only run a 245, a few can run 255's, but that's it with the stock suspension.

Right, but you have a Dart if I'm not mistaken. Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports and Barracuda's have wheel tubs that are 1" wider than the Dart's do. Most Dart's can only run a 245, a few can run 255's, but that's it with the stock suspension.
In have wondered which ones were bigger. Always thot the duster type bodies wouild be the biggest . ???

-
Back