Wheel spacers?

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I am planning on leaving my car SBP and want Ralley wheels for it. This limits my choices. Today a friend told me they make SBP to LBP adaptors which add about 3/4" to the outboard offset. Has anyone here used these and if so does one need to buy deeper offset wheels to compensate for the added width. BTW, I am still in the market for a set of ralley wheels as the last deal fell through.
TIA, DM

I have them on the front of my car.I didnt change offset because of the fenderwell headers,they give me more clearance for the tire not to rub.If not for that i would compensate for it.

I have a set of SBP to LBP adaptors, so they do make them. I haven't used them yet, so I can't comment on the use. Are you looking to get rid of your wheels?

I have a set of SBP to LBP adaptors, so they do make them. I haven't used them yet, so I can't comment on the use. Are you looking to get rid of your wheels?

Once I get my new wheels the ones on my car will be available for sale, as well as the front (newly rebuilt) complete drum brake setup as my Disc brake conversion will be arriving any day.

Have a set made by transdapt that have been on my duster for four years, they recommend retorque every 2000 miles, but have never had them work loose or any problems with them. Converted front to BBP a couple of years ago and am still running them on rear. A couple of things you should watch for though....(1) the balance weights on the brake drums may have to be removed or there is the possibility they will break when torqued down...I found out when the tire shop broke one mounting my rally wheels and new tires, (2) the supply for the ones from transdapt is a little spotty, took months to get a replacement. Anyway hope this helps.

I am planning on leaving my car SBP and want Ralley wheels for it. This limits my choices. Today a friend told me they make SBP to LBP adaptors which add about 3/4" to the outboard offset. Has anyone here used these and if so does one need to buy deeper offset wheels to compensate for the added width. BTW, I am still in the market for a set of ralley wheels as the last deal fell through.
TIA, DM

I'm confused. Why not just buy a set of small bolt pattern rallyes, new or used? For the price of good, billet adapters, not to mention rallyes with a different offset, you could just buy a set of rallye wheels with either the large OR small bolt pattern...

Dumb question from the new guy: Does the spacer have a hub to carry the weight of the vehicle to the wheel? (or does the hub protrude far enough to carry the weight?)

I had a set of adapters (just spacers) on my Audi S6 (really short hubs on the German cars...like 3/4", which isn't enough). The entire weight of the vehicle sits on the lug nuts, not the hub.

Just curious...

pete

TIA, DM
Hello Rat! I have 2 really nice sbp rallye wheels that you are looking for with center caps. I can ship them your way. Then you will only need two more and rings. These are sbp, 5.5 wide X 14". 3 3/4 backspace. Bullit center caps. New Rallye wheels can be bought thru Summit Racing or Jegs with center caps. Email me if interested.

I'm confused. Why not just buy a set of small bolt pattern rallyes, new or used? For the price of good, billet adapters, not to mention rallyes with a different offset, you could just buy a set of rallye wheels with either the large OR small bolt pattern...

My preference is for 15" ralley wheels. Only aftermarket special build wheels are 15" SBP and they are expensive. The question is based on the premise that with the adaptors I could leave my car SBP and use 15" Ralley wheels.
Rat

As Mopardeacon said, the adapters will hit the balance weights on the drums and cause all sorts of problems. The good news is that this is only a factor if you have 9 inch brakes. The 10 inchers clear with no problems.

The front will be 1970 Duster KH SBP disc conversion. Unsure about rear drum size.
I guess if I change to 8 3/4 rear end, they will be 10" drums?
DM

Hello Rat! I have 2 really nice sbp rallye wheels that you are looking for with center caps. I can ship them your way. Then you will only need two more and rings. These are sbp, 5.5 wide X 14". 3 3/4 backspace. Bullit center caps. New Rallye wheels can be bought thru Summit Racing or Jegs with center caps. Email me if interested.
These

70 Duster Discs 002 (Medium).jpg

70 Duster Discs 003 (Medium).jpg

My preference is for 15" ralley wheels. Only aftermarket special build wheels are 15" SBP and they are expensive. The question is based on the premise that with the adaptors I could leave my car SBP and use 15" Ralley wheels.
Rat

$110 for a brand new wheel is expensive? Where do you think you're saving money? A GOOD set of wheel adaptors will run at LEAST $100, and you're adding the expense of special offset 15" big bolt Rallyes (not stock), plus the questionable safety risk of using adaptors (even good ones) in the first place. I could see using adapters if you had no other choice, but why add the risk and complication of adapters for a set of wheels that ARE available in the size and bolt pattern you want? $110 a wheel seems like a reasonable price to me, considering aftermarket wheels can run over $500 each.

If you really want them, just wait until you can save up for 15" SBP Rallyes, and be glad they're actually available. SBP wheel options are very limited, and if you've found a style you like, you're lucky. Most people who switch to the BBP are forced to because they can't find a SBP style they want (i.e., they don't want Rallyes).

Wheels and suspension are not a good place to cheap out or cobble something together just to save a buck.

Uhhhh----Yeah-------
I am just asking the question about spacers as a friend told me about them.
If you can show me where to buy 15" ralley SBP wheels with rings I centers for $110 EA, I will order them today. I am just trying to sort it out and get some wheels on the way, this isn't my first rodeo!!!!!!!!!
Rat

TIA, DM

I have bolt on wheel spacers on the front of my 68 - not conversion spacers but 4.5 x 4.5 because my new cragar rims wont clear the aftermarket larger disc brake set-up I have. They add 1 inch to the track each side and I havent ever seen 3/4 inch spacers (small to large bolt conversion or otherwise), the minimum being 1 inch. That's a big difference over stock front track, but whether you're going to get tire clearance issues depends on the wheel tire combo you're running. To be safe, I'd suggest that you would need to look to compensating with larger backspacing on your rims.

For example, my previous 15 inch rims were 3.5" backspacing and they cleared the brakes. My new 15 inch rims are 4.25" backspacing and so my wheels with the 1 inch spacer now sit out an extra quarter inch from before, which is enough to make me uneasy about tire clearance when I finally get the car on the road.

PS. Stockton Wheel make conversion spacers (I have stockton spacers on mine, made in USA). You can also find them on ebay, made in China most probably.

Uhhhh----Yeah-------
I am just asking the question about spacers as a friend told me about them.
If you can show me where to buy 15" ralley SBP wheels with rings I centers for $110 EA, I will order them today. I am just trying to sort it out and get some wheels on the way, this isn't my first rodeo!!!!!!!!!
Rat

Sorry, I forgot to post the link, but I assumed you knew about Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-61-5754044/

No, they don't include trim rings and center caps, but you'll have to get those regardless of what Rallyes you go with. You can pick them up used just about anywhere, or shop Ebay. Some people have actually been known to use the wheels without trim until they can afford it...

Look, man, I'm a small bolt pattern guy myself, and I love Rallye wheels, so I'm not trying to bust your chops. If you have your heart set on running wheel adapters, then go for it, it's your car. But I'm just not buying your logic that they're a cheaper or faster way to go than just saving up for the right wheels in the first place.

I've found that this hobby requires either lots of patience, lots of money, or really good luck, and I don't have much money or luck. I wish you all the best of each with your project.

15" X 6 SBP wheels 147.5 EA = $590.00
Trim rings, set of four = $135.00
Center caps set of four = $240.00
Metal valve stems 3.5 EA = $14.00
Subtotal FOB Stocton Wheel = $979.00
+shipping??????
Thanks for the tip.
Will not be using spacers, decision made.
Waiting to see what rear end I wind up with.
Have 7 1/4 and need 8 3/4 so I can have SL.
Cheers-Rat

-
Back