Wheel Studs

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Guys, what year did mopar go from left hand threads to right? I am trying to determine if the 70 Swinger has left or right. The PO can't remember and all I know is that they are stuck big time. Don,t want to snap studs if I don't have to. :roll:

I believe you should be able to see a stamped "L" on the end of each stud, if they are left. If not, there may be an "R" or nothing. As for the year, I believe 70 and later had all Rights. M2CsW.

With the Crager rims I can't see the studs but a friend just called and he thinks the change was made in 71 :? :?:

The left hand lug nuts for the cragars are also marked with an L on one of the flats. Have them on my 72 Demon. I have all right hand studs on mine now. Not sure if they were originally that way though. And man are them lugnuts hard to find! Good luck! :evil:

Great, thanks for the info. I went through the lug nut thing with the cuda before I switched it over. I actually gave some left hand nuts away not thinking I would ever need them again...oops :roll:

I'm almost positive 70 was the last year for left-handed lugs.
I recently sold a 70 Fury that still had left-handed lugs.

Sparky said:
Don,t want to snap studs if I don't have to. :roll:

I've seen low-rent repair shops snap a stud, then mix in a right hand stud among lefts because they couldn't find the correct one. Now you play roulette taking off a wheel. :scratch:

This might not be what you want to hear, but get those bastards off.... make `em all right hand. If you plan ahead to do it, it's not that bad a job. Definitely a dirty, tiring job, but not out of reach for the backyard wrench.

I swapped mine over when I did the brakes, Unless you're restoring it, what's the point in staying with the lefties?

Cuda66 said:
I swapped mine over when I did the brakes, Unless you're restoring it, what's the point in staying with the lefties?

If I restored a car and was docked points for having right hand wheel studs instead of left, I think I'd beat the judge into the ground like a tent stake..... :x

FASTBACK340 said:
[
If I restored a car and was docked points for having right hand wheel studs instead of left, I think I'd beat the judge into the ground like a tent stake..... :x

I agree 100%. I had a customer recently ask me to locate him lefties. I said I didn't know where to get them, and asked why he would bother.

"originality" was his reply. At this point I laughed at him :cheers: .

In any case, I don't think the guy was all there. He called me back 2 days later looking for different stuff, and didn't seem to get it was the same place.

I have also heard of guys using a letter stamp, and putting the "L" on the studs, even if they are rights, to make them look authentic.

Things like that, are why I don't run with the resto guys anymore. :salut:

Quick update on the wheel studs on the Swinger, turns out the front were right and the rear were still lefties :roll: neat trick. No busted studs but I did break one of the cragar nuts, snapped the sleave right behind the nut. Good thing as I was turning the wrong way at the time :shock:

You have spares to replace that broken one? They are hard to find in the small bolt pattern.

I got a unused set of Cragar lug nuts, 10 right and 10 left :D Don't know what I'm gonna use them for now that I got rid of my 65 Valiant :scratch:

I will be swapping that one wheel over before I start driving the swinger, hopefully next summer some time. Despertly searching for a home with a decent size garage or shop. If I don't find one there won't be any work going on at all,if I push the swinger in beside the fish thats it no room to do anything. :shaking:

Just a quick word of warning on those Cragar nuts. The newer ones are a little on the weak side. I have broken a few of them on Dad's dart. I know the torque spec is only @65 ft-lbs, but these broke before I even got that far. I had a set on my 67 20 years ago and never had any issues. No strong arming! :/

-
Back