when and how to fill the transmission

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys

I am swapping in a 360/727 into my 72 duster and im wondering what the easiest way is to fill the transmission
If I do it while it is still outside of the car it will all seep out the cooler lines no?

it will be almost completely drained (putting a new filter in) so how many quarts would it take?

I would do it after its in the car myself. Less chance to make a mess. If you have a brand new converter you better pick up a case of fluid. If your only doing the filter and gasket then if I remember correctly you can get by with 6 quarts.

The less fluid in the trans while installing the better! (make sure there is some though, converter and what not) But my transmissions always puke everywhere, so I tend to fill them up once they are all bolted up and in the car.

Agreed, in the car. (or you'll be sorry:D)
Make a paper funnel if you need to.

V8 transmissions I start with 2 gallons if it's dry and check from there. Don't forget to add a quart to the converter. Check hot idling in neutral.

thanks guys

Im not decided yet on the converter
ive been told its the last piece of the puzzle and ive also been told to slap a reman factory high stall in there so unless I come across a killer deal on one of those I will most likely keep the stocker (with a quart poured in during assembly)

It will take about 9 quarts to fill a completely empty one.

Fill it after it's installed in the car.

then when you start it, get in the car and cycle it through the gears:

1st, R, 2nd, R, D, R, @nd, R, 1st, ... Repeat 2 or three times through each gear, and then check the fluid. This will help get the trans and torque converter full so you can properly set the fluid level....

-
Back