When cramming a 727 into an early A......

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
......pay attention to the tail shaft.

Nevermind flattening the firewall/floor seam and maybe mini-tubbing the tunnel north of the factory console bracket. We did all that when we put the 1st 727 behind the 408 in my son's 65 B'cuda a couple of years ago. He developed a leak and ran it too long low on fluid. I tried to tell the boy to fix the leak.......kids.

Anywho, he picked up a rebuilt, reverse pattern valve bodied 727 from a member here a while back. Don't remember the ID of the guy, but we also picked up a few oil pans and some other goodies pretty cheap. Took the transfer apart for a look see and it is beautiful inside. The numbers suggest it came out of an early 80''s Ramcharger.

Here comes the tail shaft issue. Didn't pay attention to it until we had the trans bolted to the motor and tried to put the cross member in. That's when we discovered the tail shafts housing was interfering with the upper part of the cross member - the framework that is welded to the floor.

And here is why...the little plate that comes off so you can remove the housing from the output shaft on the truck trans is raised section on the left side in the 2nd pic. The car trans plate is on the bottom......DOH!

20200229_115109.jpg
20200229_115033.jpg

That's one thing I look for when looking at cores. The truck tailshaft housing also doesn't have the tabs on the bottom to bolt up floor shift linkage. Seems like I remember that same interference problem with an E body? I used to have.

Wish I would have seen this post before I pulled out most of my hair I still have! Had the same mystery when I swapped 904's not only was it hitting the underside hump it was also resting/hitting the cross trans brace! Made a heck of a vibration going down the road!

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

-
Back