When did chrysler start using short oil filters on small blocks?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
When did Chrysler start using the shorter oil filters on the small blocks ? I 'm making a custom length dipstick. My engine is a 66 273,in a dodge A100 pickup, at that time I think all that was used were the longer filters.I've been using the wix 51515 filter (think that's the number)
Also does anyone have any idea of the oil capasitiy difference between the long and short filters?

I'm not sure that they ever used a long filter from the factory. I know they've used short filters at least back to about 89. I was working at the dealership and that's what was on them new.

I worked at a dealer 77-81 and the small blocks then used the short filter. But as I remember the OLDer 318s used the longer filters..but thought someone else my remember if they did.

The first year Chrysler used the short filter was 1972. The original part number was 3549957. The last year it was used was 2007. The part number now is 5281090. After that, the filter was the same size but went to a metric thread. The long filter part number was 1851658.

I know my 65 273 Commando (Formula "S") came with the LONG filter... My 66 Hemi car and my 67 440 GTX also were LONG filters... And 69 340 Dart Swinger also...

I like the Mobil M1-301 filter (LONG) More filtration area... And more capacity keeps the oil level a little lower in the pan... thus helps with the crank not having to whip though it... (foaming)... Just my My thoughts... and 2 cents!!!

My 2009 6.1 SRT Challenger came with the SHORT filter with Metric thread... No way was I going to accept that!!! So, pulled out the metric nipple in the block where the oil filter screws in and put the old style 3/4 nipple (block is NOT threaded metric) and now use the Mobil M1-301 filter in that as well!!! Just Saying...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

My '74 Dart /6 uses the long (Wix 51515) filter because of the "stand pipe" in the mount. I can't guarantee that it's the original mount but the short filter bottoms out on the pipe before it seats.

I know my 65 273 Commando (Formula "S") came with the LONG filter... My 66 Hemi car and my 67 440 GTX also were LONG filters... And 69 340 Dart Swinger also...

I like the Mobil M1-301 filter (LONG) More filtration area... And more capacity keeps the oil level a little lower in the pan... thus helps with the crank not having to whip though it... (foaming)... Just my My thoughts... and 2 cents!!!

My 2009 6.1 SRT Challenger came with the SHORT filter with Metric thread... No way was I going to accept that!!! So, pulled out the metric nipple in the block where the oil filter screws in and put the old style 3/4 nipple (block is NOT threaded metric) and now use the Mobil M1-301 filter in that as well!!! Just Saying...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:
That's what I thought,the older 71 & back all used the long filter. And MOST (NON HEMI) had a 5qt including the filter system.
Any idea how oil is in the long and short filters, or how much extra stays in the pan with the short filter?

-
Back