When Did You Drive Your First.....................

-
First ride in a muscle car: 1968 Chevy Camero built 454 with a 4 speed & 4.11 posi (original BB SS car)
First time driving: 2007, (12 at the time)
First car driving: 1968 VW Bug (car had no brakes what so ever:happy2:)
First manuel: the Bug
First 4 speed: the Bug
2nd car: 1991 Ford Ranger XLT inline 4 cylinder
First 5 speed: the Ranger
First auto: 1998 Honda Civic
First V8: 1968 Buick Skylark 350 2 speed auto (also did my first burnout in this car, a one legger:toothy10:)
First ride to a 100mph: 1972 Buick GS Stage 1 (possible the Camero but can't remember, I was like 4.)
First Mopar driven: the 1965 Barracuda 273 4 speed

So I learned how to drive stick first at a young age which impresses a lot of people.
I've never driven a manuel column shift car.

Attachments

• 233.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 69
First muscle car: 1969 Torino Gt 390 at the age of 15. It was a friends who thought I was 16 and had my licence already. I really feel lucky that car didn't wind up in the cars lining the street wne I got on it.

First VW: I was 17 and it had a 350 Olds engine in it. Talk about a scary car to drive.

First 4 speed : 1976 Blazer. I was 18 and my boss had to leave with his wife. He came out and tossed me the keys to his Blazer because he knew my car was out of comission. Told me to take it home and bring it back the next day. I put the keys in my pocket and and didn't give it another thought until work was over. I was in for a big surprise when I jumped in to it and found it was a 4 speed. It took me a couple of stop lights to figure out how the work the clutch without it bunny hopping all over the place.

First speeding ticket :63 in a 20mph scool zone. 16 and showing off in front of school in my 73 'cuda. I looked over and saw the cop just as I was shifting out of second. He was not a happy camper and thinking about it I couldn't blame him.

1st 3 in-the-tree was Dad's 56 Chevy. i was about 12 (1st joy ride shhhh he still doesn't know).
1st 4 speed was my brother's 72 Duster340 when I was about 15.
1st bug never.... but I squashed plenty.

First time driving was sitting in my Mom's lap and learning to drive in a 1956 Chevy.

Sears parking lot at night, I was 6 or 7.

She read a newspaper story about a little kid that took over for his Dad when he had a heart attack behind the wheel of a big rig.

The way she figured it, better I know how to drive, than not.

First car I ever owned was a 70's Chevy station wagon.

The first time driving a stick was before I had a license in Louisiana. A white Valiant that someone had cobbled in a floor shifter.
The floor was so rusted out that "everything" just flopped around, sometimes it took several minutes of jerking back and forth and left to right to find first gear. After you were off and rolling things were a bit better.

And you had to pump the brakes about 5 or 6 times before they started to work.

I offered to my Aunt that I to drive it to school,(11th grade), and try to weld some supports, or something, anything, to make things work better.

That morning,(Murphy's Law), there was a big fat sheriff stopping cars, then letting 5 or 6 go through in a group.

I actually prayed that I would be part of a group, but no, just as the car in front of me passed him he put up his hand for me to stop.

I couldn't get the car out of gear or pump the brakes fast enough, everything was happening at once.

I almost ran him over, I would have if he didn't jump out of the way.

I never saw someone so big move that fast,....LOL

I did my best to find first and get the hell out of there but no luck, I was still pulling and jerking that clapped out floor shifter when he opened the door and jerked me out of the car.

I was arrested, my Aunt left work & came down and picked me up at the cop shop, being a nurse she knew most the cops in town, she flirted with them a little and they let me go.

The towing bill was more than that pile was worth, so that was the last of that car.

First four speed was a friends VW bug.

First muscle car was as a passenger in a friend's Corvette Stingray, a small block car, I was 16 or 17.

The second was a lime green Duster, Twister, Dart, not sure.

It was a factory four speed car and went like a bat out of hell.

My first pick up was a 1958 Ford F-100 with a six in it.

Up until my cousin gave me a water cooled 93' VW a few years back, I had never owned anything newer than that 70's station wagon.

I have never purchased a new car, and never will.

There is just too much plastic.

I prefer to own, drive, and work on "Pre Smog Law" units.

In my state that is 75' and prior.

-
Back