When do you need an external pickup pan?

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
I am building an RB 470 stroker. Do I need an external pickup setup? What about a swinging pickup?

7658625.jpg

IMO the 3/8" pickup tube is not big enough, you can use a hemi 1/2"
tube but you still have the galleys in the block to deal with. The external pick up has a 1/2" i.d. tube and a short run to the pump.
You also eliminate the tube clearing the crankshaft. If you use the 21010 you don't need a longer drive shaft and it also moves the filter up away from the K-Member about an inch, it's a win win if you ask me.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-21010

If u have the room for it and it will clear ur headers I say u need it. I say that because it is recommended. My 470 B block stroker was built without in about 1998 or 1999. Still going strong as of last season. It was opened up inside the block to make it live I don't know any details as i bought it that way last year. Kim

If u have the room for it and it will clear ur headers I say u need it. I say that because it is recommended. My 470 B block stroker was built without in about 1998 or 1999. Still going strong as of last season. It was opened up inside the block to make it live I don't know any details as i bought it that way last year. Kim
I`ve got that stationary single pick up, brand new, I went w/ a swinging pick up, ' IF ANYONE NEEDS IT ".

I am running a rack and custom headers so I can run any pan I want. Nothing comes near it. I was thinking a dragster pan with a flat sump and a swinging external pickup.

-
Back