When to change the oil after rebuild

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
My 318 was rebuilt about four months ago. When should the oil and filter be changed? There is around 50 miles on it. Any special type of oil needed?

Thanks

Usually after about 500 miles but since its been 4 months I would change. No special oil needed, I like Delo 400 or Rotella myself,and a good quality filter (like wix) and you need to drive that thing!

I normally do one at 500 miles (driven at different speeds but not getting on it hard, of course) then change again after another 1500 miles and then at your normal intervals after that. I just use whatever oil I'm going to run. The 2nd one may be overkill but, I figure it is cheap insurance. X2 on change it now and drive it!

Thanks. Any recommendations on oil weight? I think the service manual just says 10w30, 10w40, or 20w50.

The oil change after the rebuild is to remove any foreign metal particles from the system after machine work was performed on said' engine.

On new rebuilds....where I have the block vatted, the deck cut, the freeze plugs and core plugs removed, the crank journals line honed, and the bores cleaned up....I:

Crank the engine up and break in the cam
run it up to operating temp and ensure cooling system is burped and full
check it over for fluid leaks...then chain the oil. This cleans out any trash that might have been left in oil galleys...or elsewhere....Then

drive it around the block, to the store, around town on backroads....put 500 or so miles on it, and change it once more to the flavor you will stick with for your climate,..and your bearing clearances, I would suggest no less than 10w-30 for California's climate.

-
Back