when to pull the plug??

-
I have a Craftsman oil less vertical 220V compressor that is 8 years old and just locked up. I have not taken it apart yet but was unaware they were rebuildable.

They arent. At least not the one we have. I searched for 2 weeks for a rebuild kit but couldn't find one.

Actually they are, I replaced some parts in mine for around 100 bucks because it was not working properly.

I paid 125 for a 6.5HP, two stage, 60 gallon and threw another 100 at it, and it woks flawlessly. Noisy but works well.

I just went through this. I had a vertical sears crapsman , and just couldn't take it anymore. when you plugged it in, it was so loud the neighbors would even come outside wondering what the hell was going on. I wheeled it out to the curb and left it for the garbage truck. My friend also had one and his needed the cylinder rebuild kit, he found one real cheap and had it repaired in no time. It ran for a week before something else failed and its now a reserve air tank on wheels. :violent1: I went to all the home depots and lowes and everything they offer is 3450 rpm, and that =loud! I found a local compressor shop and found this. Jenny, K2A-60 American made, dual 110/230V motor 1750 rpm 13.1 cfm so its not a screamer. Its not the end of all compressors, but its an excellent home model.
How much $?

1750 RPM. Man that's screamin. Any good compressor shop will tell you that's the secret to long compressor life. Keep the compressor pump speed slow.

I traded repairing a lawnmower for a Husky 33 gallon compressor with a burned up motor several years ago. I went to our local compressor shop, Air Compressor sales in Macon. I got a new motor for it, but they also told me that nearly ALL store bought compressors spin way too fast. So I got a motor pulley to reduce the compressor speed to 850 RPM. It just lugs along, but it works just as good as it did at 1700 RPM and works a lot less.

1750 RPM. Man that's screamin. Any good compressor shop will tell you that's the secret to long compressor life. Keep the compressor pump speed slow.

I traded repairing a lawnmower for a Husky 33 gallon compressor with a burned up motor several years ago. I went to our local compressor shop, Air Compressor sales in Macon. I got a new motor for it, but they also told me that nearly ALL store bought compressors spin way too fast. So I got a motor pulley to reduce the compressor speed to 850 RPM. It just lugs along, but it works just as good as it did at 1700 RPM and works a lot less.

Good info, RRR. Much appreciated.

Have you drained the water out of it?
Diagnosing it costs zero, and I've yet to find parts NOT available. I go to the craftsman site, get the part number, then Google around to get the best price. Compressor parts are made by compressor companies which stock most readily.

In my field of hvac you need a compressor that is high volume and quiet. oil-less
good to fill a tire, but have ear plugges. through it all away and buy a Quincy compressor , it will last a lifetime . just change the oil yearly on any compressor

Too bad you weren't closer Rani, I'd give you mine, I've had it a long time its still like new but thats one noisy damn unit. I only use it in my wood working area and bought a new Ingersol Rand for in my garage. Hope you find a good replacement that you can afford since we'd rather put our money into our cars and less into our tools.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 123
-
Back