When to torque lower control arm pin?

-

lee g

Reaction score
Do you torque the pin when the car is weight bearing? Just rebuilt my lower control arms with reinforcing plate on the bottom and new adjustable strut rods.

Thanks. That's what I thought but couldn't quite remember

What LCA bushings are you using? If rubber, then yes, you have to have the car at ride height before tightening down the pin. If poly bushings then you tighten up the pin right away.

What LCA bushings are you using? If rubber, then yes, you have to have the car at ride height before tightening down the pin. If poly bushings then you tighten up the pin right away.

Ok...Is it that you can tighten the pin right away (without a load on the suspension) with poly bushings or that you should tighten it before loading the suspension?

Sorry to resurrect an old post.

I believe this is the issue...

The poly bushing isn't held tight in the LCA like the stock rubber bushing is. Some people have reported that the pin just spins in the K-member when trying to tighten the locking nut. With the pin/bushing installed into the LCA, you can't hold the back side of the pin from spinning when you tighten the nut.

If you are using a poly bushing, you can tighten the pin to the K before you even install the bushing and LCAs. This way, you can hold the pin from spinning. Once it's tight, then you can slide the LCA over the pin.

Last edited:
-
Back