when was the last time you seen one of these?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my truck to get cab mounts installed

I still have a couple of cars in indy that haven't been driven this year. So I decided if I could drive the caddy I would just bring it home while truck get repaired

The caddy is a 1974 coupe deVille with 30,500 miles. It got driven maybe a 100 miles last year.

So it started ok, aired up the tires, checked fluid levels to find it low on transmission fluid

I have a pretty good supply of maintenance products in the building in Indy. So I look for some appropriate type transmission fluid. Good old Dextron 2, I can only find one quart.

I hated to have to open it, but hey, I needed it.

That can of oil might be as old as the car........LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 198
This one has an old can blade inside of it to open old style cans

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 173
They haven't used cans like that since the early 80's at least...

There is a faded Dryden Oil can, made of cardboard in the picture Post #3, behind the Brookins Pitcher

Wow! Brings back memories! I worked in a gas station/garage when those were around. Never seen an opener built into a funnel though! That's cool. We just had the opener spout.

Attachments

• oil can opener.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 171
Hopefully you opened it from the bottom, you can at least use it for garage art.

I was at a barn sale last week, and they had several cans of motor oil like that, in hindsight I should have grabbed one.

View attachment image.jpg

After a short test drive we drove it about 110 miles home today with no issue

Plus the 50miles yesterday

500 cu in engine just purred all the way home. Stayed off the interstate but it would cruise at 70 with no problem. Just prefer state roads and 60 mph

Put new tires on it about 3 years ago so they are good.

Damn that's clean, what's the power like?

Never wreck and mostly original paint, never rusted. Thinking today the only time it was driven in the winter was 1973/74. Richard Costin bought it new and was his company car. In 1974 when he got his new car Charlie Smith bought it. It was his retirement car, but he spent the winters in Florida so the car sat in his garage. He didn't drive it much, actually I only seen him in the back seat and his friend Ed Richie was driving. So I really doubt it has seen snow on the road since 1974. I did take it out in the snow for a photo shoot but just outside the barn door and not driven on the road then right back into the heated side of the barn

Have to remember1974 they were really restricted. Think even with 501 cubic inches it was 200 hp or less. But it still had the torque to move it down the road.

They can be made into power house, but it is such a sweet original car no reason to do a thing except keep it running and driving like new

Don't know when the last time I road in a car as smooth as this. Just floats down the road like a cloud

At one time I wanted to put a set of Dayton 100 spoke wheels with gold spokes and vogue tires put some duals on it with smitty mufflers. Decided with those wheels and tires it would probably get stolen if I left it in a parking lot. So I would really worry about driving it. And make it louder, well there is something about a whisper quite car.

... I'd never seen "Morlube" before, these were in the garage rafters of the house I bought. They look old-ish. 70's?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 110
I have seen this car up close. It's a beauty.

I was gonna call you to see if you needed a ride back home
from Indy. I forgot about your stash up there.

-
Back