Where all to undercoat in the front fender wells?

-

dano

Evil Handy Man
Reaction score
Regardless of what I use (still TBD) I'd like to coat my front inner fenders wells. I'm at least going to coat the inner shield(s) that seals the fender as they were stripped and painted. From what little driving I've done I see a lot of rock chips so I 'd like to protect this area. Do the inner fenders need coated from the radiator panel back or was there a spot the factory started? This 100% street car.

On my 65 Valiant I plan on coating everything that sees the ground. The intire inside of the fenders, the two splash shields, and all of the body area under the fenders where the front suspension connects. You can't go wrong as long as it's under the car.

On my 65 Valiant I plan on coating everything that sees the ground. The intire inside of the fenders, the two splash shields, and all of the body area under the fenders where the front suspension connects. You can't go wrong as long as it's under the car.

That's what I was thinking. Its been over 20 yeas since I took the car apart so I can't recall how it was. The inner fender where the suspension mounts is coated with bed liner. The shield, inner fender and radiator yoke inside is not, just painted. I guess I'll just do the rest to match and have no chip and rust.

If You're not running on a dirt / gravel road - paint it black, only. -- Re-paint it, as needed.

x2 on this. I did everything possible with herculiner and chasis saver.

If You're not running on a dirt / gravel road - paint it black, only. -- Re-paint it, as needed.

Why not go a little overboard once and never have to worry about it again? Even not driving dirt roads you'll still see plenty of rock and debris kick up from the highways over time.

at the factory they held a triangle shaped cover over the suspension and sprayed most everything else.Coverage was dependant on the guy spraying.Having said that a friend removed all the original undercoating and threw a rock out of his tire straight up.He has a dent in the top of his fender now beside the hood.He drives arguably the nicest car in our area..a black '68 Road Runner
For sure coat inside the fender at top and everywhere else that could be damaged or make noise.
... like the factory did..

--
Why not go a little overboard once and never have to worry about it again? Even not driving dirt roads you'll still see plenty of rock and debris kick up from the highways over time. --
-- Just think that it looks neater. --

I was told by 2 different Mopar fanatic friends that the insides of the front fenders were painted body color. Then a factory worker took a special gun for this purpose and sprayed a special 3M coating (not undercoating, but a coating with resilience for absorbing rock hits) across the top inside of the fender. The gun sprayed a rather sharply defined band. I don't think it was even capable of spraying the whole inside of the fender. I think they sprayed coating on the fender liners also. One friend of mine owns the gun, tank, and material . The material costs $100. If someone needs to know, I can get more details.

Thanks guys. What ir3333 is basically what i feared as well but didn't know how much the factory covered forward of the wheel.

I have use undercoating type product called Body Schultz for decades. check out the gun that I used with it. works well and not that expensive.

-
Back