Where and What Size Hole?

-

royslead

Reaction score
My car (72 Duster) has been in body shop jail for over two years now (that's a story for another time). I'm putting a 383 with a Weiand Hi-Ram (dual quads) on top of it. Obviously, I have to put a hole in the hood. The hood is coming home for a fee other repairs I am performing and now would be the best time (before final prep and paint) to cut the hole. I know it would be better / more accurate to have the car with the engine in it, to measure and mark, but I am wondering if anyone has already gone through this or has a similar setup, that could share measurements, pictures, whatever. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
There's no way I would attempt this if you don't have access to the car.
There's going to be variations even between two identically-equipped cars, and between different tastes as far as how closely-fitting you want the hole to be. Someone else may have different linkages, fuel line setups, etc. They may cut the hole looser to give more clearance for engine movement if they're using rubber engine mounts; or tighter if they're using solids, elephant ears or a motor plate. There's just no substitute for doing your own measuring and fitting.
Last time I cut a hood, I did a mock-up first. I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" Masonite (hardboard) and laid the hood on top of it (it wasn't big enough for the whole hood, so I just did the rear 2/3) and traced the hood outline onto it, and cut out the Masonite to the hood size. Sinct the hood has a crown to it, I screwed on a pair of arched cut 1x2s towards the front and rear of the "fake hood". It was now a sufficiently accurate template of the hood, that I could set in place on the car for fitting. I started by locating the two centers of the carbs and opening up only enough for the carbs to begin to poke through, the gradually opening it up more and more and massaging the shape until I had it where I wanted it- if I cut too much out, I'd just duct tape some cardboard over the booboo and re-trim it where I wanted it.
When you're done sizing the hole, remove the two 1x2 reinforcing ribs and lay the template on top of your hood, and transfer the shape of the cutout to the surface of your hood with a pencil, sharpie, scratch awl, whatever. You can even use a spray bomb and use the template like a stencil.
Then you can cut your hood out and rest assured that the hole is going to fit like you want it to, with contours that are appropriate. Sounds like a lot of work, but you only get one shot at this.
A couple of things to keep in mind: the hole is NOT going to be centered. The engine is offset to the passenger side 1 1/2 - 2". If you have a center rib on the hood, the hole will have an obvious offset to the passenger side. This is aggravated by the fact that you often need to cut the hole with additional clearance on the passenger side to accommodate engine movement, and the offset becomes almost glaring. Some people cut additional metal on the driver's side to even things up, some just throw a scoop over it, and others don't really care one way or the other and just live with it.

Personally, I wouldn't cut up the sheet metal hood. I would save up the money and put a fiber glass hood on it. That way if you decide to take the tunnel ram off, you have the sheet metal hood to put back on.

I Absolutely agree with Demonracer leave the original hood untouched.

You can also order a fiberglass hood with the scoop already installed and save yourself a lot of labor. They will put it in the correct spot if you are going to use a stock transmission mount location. The stock location is known and the transmission and engine length is known and so they can put the hole in a place that will work even if it is not perfect match to your setup. I am assuming you will be using a hood scoop of course.

If you are not going to use a hood scoop, then Professor Fate has the best process regardless of metal or fiberglass hood because the edge of the hole will be exposed. And you will just have to wait to get the car back from the shop.

Last edited:
You all have valid points that I have considered well before bringing the hood home. I was hoping to get at least some measurements to begin with. I definitely like the method Professor fate suggested. Thank you all

-
Back