Where did I put my shift indicator...

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
Yeah, that's right. There isn't one. 67 Dart, column shift, anybody have pics? The only thing other than regular maintenance done to this car was a (probably dealer) install of a trailer hitch. I really don't know what could have happened to it. I thought it would be obvious once I got the steering wheel off, but it's not...I don't see a pointer or anyplace one would go.

What am I missing here?!

A picture of your column would help a lot. There were 2 kinds of column shift. Manual 3 speed or automatic. Which do you have?

I suppose that's an idea. I didn't know manual on the column had an indicator, but this in an auto. I'll post a pic this evening.

Here we are...wheel and other odds and ends removed. Where on earth is the pointer...I'm assuming there should be one??

columny.jpg

Looks like yours is broken/missing. There should be an orange pointer coming down from the top of the bezel pointing at P with the shift lever in that position. You have to remove the lens in the shifter quadrant to get to it. Bent the one in my '74 Charger slamming the transmission into Park and the pointer wound up one gear off. Just learned to live with it....

This little tab appears to me missing.

Attachments

• !Bpv14!!Bmk~$(KGrHqQH-CwEuYw1oB-IBLssDfy5cw~~_1.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 106
  • $(KGrHqJ,!pEE63YiBPP2BO5Ni3U49g~~60_1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 102
Ok, mine has a tab behind the lens. Are you guys saying the pointer should be attached to the top of that?

Ok thanks guys. I think I'll figure it out once I get this collar/bezel deal off.

So it doesn't come in front of the lense? Because (at least now) you can't see thru the lense, it's white with black lettering.

Nope, the pointer goes BEHIND the lense. That's why the original lense is clear.

Nope, the pointer goes BEHIND the lense. That's why the original lense is clear.

Ok then, pointer is still there. Something is wrong with the lens. This is the original lens but it definitely ain't clear any more :)

-
Back