Where do I go to find out how to replace the heater core in my 93 Dodge Spirit

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
So far it's a real PITA. I've got the dash completely out and still can't get to it. Anybody done this job?

Yeah but Its been quite a while,...seems to me ya gotta remove most of the lower right side dash and roll the heater/ac box out from the bottom.

So far it's a real PITA. I've got the dash completely out and still can't get to it. Anybody done this job?

Done it on a G body daytona. Remove glovebox, unbolt dash lower on passenger side by kickpanel, remove ac controller in dash. Disconnect heater and A/C lines under the hood. Disconnect 2 vacuum lines routed out to vacuum engine harness, and to heater mixing valve . One should be black, the other should be grey. One is vacuum in to the controller in the dash, the other vacuum under the hood controls hot water going thru the heater core. Several stamped nuts hold the whole thing to the firewall, once you disconnect all this, push it inside and down on passenger floor, pull dash back slightly, and remove it. There may be a strap inside holding it up as well, plus disconnect all your fan and controller electrical from the heater box. Then dissssemble, and swap heater core out. Theres some preformed foam gaskets you will prob find out these are prob dry rotten. Dealer should have these new for a few bucks

Yes this is a pita

Hope this helps
Matt

Update-I'm finally done. Turns out I did have to take out the entire dash assy. I left the AC lines connected (on the right side) and loosened up the heater box. There are 4 nuts on the engine side of the firewall to take off and one hangar inside on the right side. Anyhow, I pulled the heater box back just enough to get to the top of it, used a hacksaw blade to saw the top about 12" from the left side. This gave me just enough room to pull the heater core out and install a new one (it was really nasty). I reinstalled the top and used some RTV glue where I sawed it. Put everything back together and it all worked just fine. Bottom line is I did not have to recharge the AC which would have cost me over $200 here in California.

Total time for the job - more than 8 hours and I didn't even break anything.

-
Back